Employment of minors

In the past we have employed 15-year-olds in some food service positions. Because of the difficulty of scheduling within legal hours restrictions and the potential liability for on-the-job injuries, we would like to change policy to set our minimum hiring age at 16. We still have two 15-year-olds on staff. Can we lay them off until they turn 16?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Can you not begin adopting the new age limit and continue employing the 15 yr olds until they reach the magical age? I would be reluctant to lay-off 2 experienced employees only to HOPE to hire them back when they reach the age of 16 in the future. They'll be long gone seeking other employment.......
  • I agree. If these two 15 year olds are good workers and exhibit the normal amount of loyalty for a 15 year old and aren't customer service problems, it would be a shame to 'lay them off' because of a change in your policy. Finding another job might be difficult for them and this would send a shocking message to them. If they need to work, and I assume they must, you will never attract them back; not even if they are unemployed would they want to work there again. Cut 'em some slack and grandfather them.
  • The problem is one of the 15-year-olds, while a good worker, is accident prone. Every time we report an injury the state DOL investigates for possible hours or duties violations. She worked too many hours once during the summer because she stayed to fill in for another employee who failed to show for a shift; consequently we've already been fined once.

• You'll have to weigh all the pros and cons as you sort it out. I don't see either of your latest revelations as substantial reasoning for changing your policy to prohibit employment of 15 year olds though. Are her accidents safety violations? I assume that an investigation would have revealed if you have her illegally employed on or around equipment prohibited for 15 year olds. The accidents must not have been very serious or the investigations might have suggested you have them working in unsafe environments. Anyway, I think the 'accident prone' thing is not substantial enough to fire her. The other thing of her working too many hours is solely the company's and the supervisor's responsibility to monitor, not the worker. Any kid needing money will work as many hours as you let them. Bottom line for me is that I agree with altering your policy but not with tossing out these two workers unless they are poor performers. Good luck with your decision. x:-)