Corrective Actions / Employee Warnings

I was trying to get an idea of what the norm is for corrective actions. Right now we do not have anything set up. Out forms say both oral and written and there is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. But we don't have anything that says when they get what. I was wondering if you could give me some ideas of what other companys do.
Such as: 3 Oral Warning before the 1 written warning, or If you only count things taht have happened within a revolving 12 month period? Anything would be helpful.
I work in a Credit Union so we have some problems with lateness and missing work. What kind of rules do people have on how many times you can be late before you are fired and that type if info also.
Any help at all would be great. I have been given the task of trying to create something from nothing and I can't get any body here to give me there input because they are all afraid that it will come back and bite them in the behind.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Enable your profile and I'll send you some info on our policy x:D
    Cinderella
  • Thank you for your help, I believe I have enabled my profile now.
    I wanted to say that I do understand that certian things will skip steps, but right now we have 9 managers that do most of the corrective actions and they just do them randamly. I may have one person that only gives three chances total and then they want to fire the person, I have one that is the complete oposite and would work with some of these people until he died and we would never fire anyone. I am just hoping to get some rules set down so everyone is basicly doing the same thing.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-31-02 AT 07:53PM (CST)[/font][p]Usually one year unblemished by counselling or disciplinary actions will be considered reasonable to say "start over." Of course, there are some forms of misconduct, that are severe enough to warrant even a longer period of time -- e.g., fighting. The reason for the one year is most often the one year time frame of performance evaluations that employers often use.

And of course, the more serious the form of misconduct... lowest e.g., being late once, to most serious being something like fighting or stealing (not to say that there aren't possibly more serious forms)..the more appropriate it is to skip the informal and lower levels of discipline and go for the strong ones or even termination.

Thus while a year unblemished may be a good time reference for most comisconduct, be aware of the important exceptions.

It seems to me that saying that you have to have 3 infrmal, unwritten conferences before issuing your first warning is detrimental to the emplyer. As I said above, there may be reasons to skip steps.

If you can get a hold of some abitrators' rulings on this type of issue -- the propriety of the degree of discipline (rather than whether or not the misconduct occurred) -- you may find some better rationales and explanations to justify the timing that you do go with (if any) -- if you don't just leave it up to a good discipline policy (identifying factors to consider), good training, and good judgement of supervisors and managers.
  • We have a strict late policy. 1st late you are verbally warned, 2nd late you are wirtten-up, 3rd late two week 10% reduction in pay, 4th late 4 week 10% reduction in pay, 5th late terminated.

We are in the construction business so we have most of our employees laid-off in the winter. Basically employees work about 8-9 months per year.

We are very strict - a service based company.

I hope this helps.