Final Paycheck

How long do I have to pay a terminated employee?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You only have to pay them for hours worked, unless your company policy provides for a severance or your company has entered into an agreement to pay a severance.

The only execption is that if the employee was terminated in a mass layoff, he may be entitled to 60 days notice or pay.

If your question is "when do I have to get him his paycheck", that will be decided by state law.

In Texas, if the employee is terminated by the company, pay must be given in 6 days. If the employee quits, final pay must be given on last regular payday.

But in California, pay must be given in 24 hours from the termination.

So you need to check your local state payday laws on this one.

Good Luck!

• Actually, in California, if an employer terminates an employee or lays him/her off with no specific return date within the normal pay period, all wages and accrued vacation earned but unpaid are due and payable immediately - section 201 of the California Labor Code.

Also, if the employee quits with more than 72 hours notice, all wages and accrued vacation earned but unpaid are due and payable on the last day of work.

If the employee quits with fewer than 72 hour notice, then all wages and accrued vacation are due and payable not later than 72 hours after notice is given.

With 450 store managers, this has been an on going problem with our company regardless of the number of times we have told them. Part of the job!
  • Jeeze! you must be constantly cutting special checks!

• I am certain that our way of handling final pay at store level is unique. The store calls our General Office for the employee's pay out. The money owed to the employee is then taken from the store's petty cash and later reimbursed by our payroll department. Payroll can cut a special check and Fed-X it to the store on those occasions when the store does not have enough cash to pay out. It is sticky because the manager obviously knows that he/she will be terminating the employee, but may wait a day to do so until the check is received. If the reason for termination is a serious company violation, the employee has probably been on suspension.

More than you cared to know, I'm sure!!
  • My question was more "how many days do I have to ultimately pay them their last check?" One of our employees did a no-call/no-show, but showed up to pick up their paycheck on Friday. They had been employed with our company for less than 2 weeks, and called me requesting their check. I am new to this position and our company is also fairly new also. We are trying to abide by all laws and regulations the government sets forth, but this girl had obviously talked with someone that knew the law.
  • Not quite sure of the question, but if you are asking - if an employee quits or is terminated, what is the procedure for issuing the final check? It DOES depend on your state law. In South Carolina, they are paid on the next regularly scheduled payday. We are not obligated by law to cut special checks for departing employees.
  • I agree with all posts that you should check your state laws before proceeding. In this situation you are dealing with a resignation situation and not a termination situation - that will make a difference in most states on how you proceed with this employee. This employee essentially quit your employment because she no-called/no-showed. At my organization (and previous that I have worked for), a no-call/no-show is a resignation. In Colorado, employers faced with a resignation situation must supply the employee with their final paycheck on the next scheduled pay date. In CO, we don't have to provide the payroll check within a certain number of hours such as CA state law requires.

I think that your question also is dealing with if the employee is a salaried employee or if the employee is an hourly paid employee. If the employee is paid on an hourly basis, then you only have to pay the employee for hours worked. For example, you stated that this employee worked for less than 2 weeks. Let's say that she worked the first week M-F and then during her 2nd week of employment only worked Monday and Tuesday, then no-called/no-showed on Wednesday and Thursday, then showed up on Friday for her paycheck. You are only obligated to pay that employee for the first week of employment including Monday and Tuesday of the 2nd week. You are not obligated to pay the employee for Wednesday, Thursday and/or Friday – she is technically no longer working for your organization past Tuesday of the 2nd week. Again, this is if we are talking about an hourly paid employee.

A salary paid employee must receive all wages for the pay period - you should not try to break down the employee's salary on a daily/hourly basis and then figure the wages. You must pay her normal salary that you would have paid her.

Again, I would still check your state laws regarding this situation - each state is different as noted by previous posts. Also, don't get to hung up on what the employee is saying about your state laws. Some people "think" that they know the law and will try to intimidate HR professionals by quoting the law. Just for your future reference, you should know your state specifics on this case—both in resignation and termination situations—this will not be the last time that you encounter this situation. Good luck!

• Mel: I may have misunderstood you, but it looks to me like you are saying a salaried employee gets paid for the entire pay period, even if they quit during the middle of it. Not true. You only have to pay an exempt employee through the last day worked. Beginning and ending of employment are exceptions to the 'must pay for the entire week' rule.

If I misunderstood you, sorry.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-24-02 AT 03:15PM (CST)[/font][p]Nae Nae,

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Mel,

She's right, you only pay through last day worked. By your calculations then, if I quit on the second day of a 2 week pay period, I'd get paid for the entire two weeks! What a deal, can I come work for your company???
  • Okay, I guess that my employment attorney was incorrect then with his advise?! We were advised that a salaried individual always receives their full salary pay regardless of resignation/termination date. We were advised that if we didn't give the full salary during the pay period and we counted the days then we are jeopardizing the exempt status of that position.

Also, when I left a former employer here in Colorado, I resigned in the middle of the pay period and I received my full salary upon resignation. I know that this law is mandated by FLSA (federal law) but could state laws play a roll in this as well - with CO being more gangrenous? I am just going off of what I have experienced and what I was advised by my attorney. I think that rsclark still needs to check state laws regarding his personal case.

• >could state laws play a roll in this as well - with CO being more
    >gangrenous?

I want to know more about Colorado, and its gangrene level. ;)
  • >I want to know more about Colorado, and its gangrene level. ;)

Oops! Egg on my forum face. You know, it does get pretty cold out here in CO! :-)
  • In Texas, if the employee vol quits, he gets his final paycheck on the regularly scheduled pay day for that work. For example, if the employee is paid on the 1st and 15th, and he quits on the 6th, he will get his final paycheck on the 15th.

If the employee is fired (which is probably the case here -- unless the employee admits he vol quit), you must pay him within 6 calander days of the date he was terminated. So if the employee is fired on the 6th, he must be paid by the 12th, which would be 3 days before the next regularly scheduled payday.

Good Luck!
  • Rockie's correct--ck your state law--if you don't have any books or whatever, go online at [url]www.yourstateinitials.us.gov[/url]. Usually when someone terminates of their own free will (and no call, no show is that)most states say you pay them on your next regularly scheduled payday, which is not more or less xx amount of time. When I worked in mfg. this happened frequently--they wouldn't show for work but then would call or show up for their paycheck on payday (we paid every week)--at that point I would tell them if we owed them any money, their final check would be the next week--did they want it mailed?? Then we took that opportunity to also mail out unemployment info (required in MA to send) along with COBRA forms if applicable.

Good luck