On-site Flu Shots

We will be providing on-site flu shots to our employees next month. We would like to offer these to our employees free of charge (company picks up the cost). Are we exposing ourselves to any risks or potential liability issues by providing this company-paid benefit?

If so, how do you suggest we handle? Any suggestions for waiver forms? Would we be safer to make the employees pay for the flu shots?

Thanks for any advice that you can offer!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We've offered them for years offsite and my prior employer had nurses come onsite to give them. I know of no liability you might have. The ee will be required to sign a waiver by the shot technician which largely protects that company. Attorneys are aware of our program and have not squirmed. Its a good benefit.
  • We have provided free flu shots for our employees for the last 8-9 years. It is on a voluntary basis and the employee has to fill out paperwork provided by the on site nurse stating they understand the risks and/or complications. Most all of our employees like this benefit and take advantage of it. x:-)

• You're providing a voluntary opportunity for employees to get their flu shot for free. This isn't a requirement or condition of employment. I don't know of any reasons why you would be held liable if someone were to have a reaction, etc. It's a great program. The benefits of having a healthy work force far outweigh the costs of the flu shot!
  • Ditto all the above, our employees love it. We were advised to emphasize VOLUNTARY in our advertising.
  • We have a nurse from a clinic give flu shots each year, and I tell the guys in the shop - its their choice, and any activity is not totally risk-free, they have to weigh the pros and cons in their own individual case. About 1/3 of the guys decline the shots.
  • We provided them a few years back and for the most part everyone got them and appreciated the benefit.

We do have a few employees who are convinced that the shots give you the flu. I just have to remind myself that everyone has an opinion...whether right or wrong.
  • We host a company called [url]www.getaflushot.com[/url] on our property. Its open to the public as a community service (were a small town). They give us a 50 percent discount for our employees and we kick in the other half.

I got my shot two days ago and my arm is still sore.

Don't confuse this company with [url]www.getafrontallobotomy.com[/url] or [url]www.getaspinaltap.com[/url]

Paul
  • We'll be hosting an on-site clinic next month. Our medical insurance carrier covers the cost of the shot for our employees, even if they do not have their coverage through us (prevention program). Shots are administered by a vendor that is contracted through the insurance carrier. Advance information provided by the carrier and vendor to the employees via payroll stuffers and newsletters tells of the risks, the why's and why-not's of getting a flu shot, etc. so everyone should be pretty well informed before the clinic. The day of the clinic each participant MUST complete an acknowledgement and waiver form that releases us, the vendor, and the insurance carrier from liability. Of course there are always the few who are already sniffling and then blame the flu shot for their sinus infection, stomach distress, etc. (You know the story - "I was never sick until I got a flu shot!").