Emotionally Distraught Employee

We have an employee on one of our night shifts that is currently seeing a therapist for depression. She told her supervisor that she is suicidal and shouldn't be by herself, or around any sharp objects. She also showed him some cuts she inflicted on her arms. She has been experiencing emotional breakdowns during her shift and will cry uncontrollably for no reason. Her supervisor has been spending long periods of time talking to her one on one to calm her down when this happens.

This is very disruptive, as you can imagine. We're quite concerned and aren't sure of the best course of action. Any suggestions you have will be appreciated!

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-11-02 AT 09:20AM (CST)[/font][p]Do you have an EAP program?? If you do, I'd refer her to them. If not, you may want to see if she needs some time away from work and grant her the leave. Sounds like a potential liability waiting to happen, I'd also check with your legal counsil for advice.
  • She really needs to be on FMLA or ADA if she doesn't qualify for FMLA. I am sure any physician would recommend that she be treated.

She has some very serious emotional disturbances, especially the cutting of oneself (Munchaussen's Syndrome). Aside from the disruption in the workplace, she does not need to be in the workforce until she has her problems under control.

• To add to HS response. If she has stated she is suicidal, I would notify her therapist immediately. I had this happen one time, the employee shared with another employee that she was going to shoot herself. I wanted to talk to her, but was concerned about violating her privacy so I contacted legal. They told me to get her out of the building ASAP because she might harm someone else and then we would have an even bigger problem,(aware she was suicidal and not doing anything about it)I called her therapist, who in turn spoke to her and got her to go to his office. It all worked out, and now she is doing well. If you can't find out who her therapist is, and you don't have an EAP, contact your local mental health association.
  • Rockie:
    I thought Munchaussen's Syndrome was where a mother intentionally injures/makes their child sick in order to get attention? Or is that Munchaussen's Syndrom by Proxy and "just Munchaussen's" is hurting yourself?
    Cinderella
  • At the risk of sounding a bit cold here.. her supervisor is not her therapist and depending on the diagnosis ie if she is borderline, the well intended supervisor may be hurting more than helping. In addition, to the above suggestions, if she is threatening suicide at work, the supervisor can also say "I have to take your threat seriously" and call 911. Let the professionals take it from there.
  • Missy, I am with the last post get the employee out. Accept the employees comments a factual call 911 and turn it over to the medical field. Treatment of injury with cleaning, antibodic cream, and a bandaid is not going to fix the wound here. This is as far as the HR safety program will go here! Risk management will tell you to get the EE off of the property before a greater risk happens. "_ _ _ _ will happen just as sure as I am writing these words of wisdom!!! Good luck, care for the employee by getting her out of your hands and to the hands of a medical professional; it may sound cold but it is real. When someone is hurting with a heart attack we take them seriously and call 911, do it here too.
  • Are we crossing the line if we tell her she can't be at work until she gets her issues resolved? That's the part I'm having trouble with- just how direct & insistent can we be?

BTW, she is already utilizing our EAP. That's where she found her therapist. Am I out of line to ask her for the therapist's name & number?
  • You can tell her that she can't be at work until she gets her issues resolved, because it is clear that she is unable to do the essential functions of her position because of this condition. You can have this type of behavior at work. Not only is she not getting work done, but her supervisor is distracted from his duties.

Good Luck!
  • I think you can be fairly insistent that she needs to be able to perform the essential functions of her position. You can be firm and still be compassionate about her problems, but I am sure she understands the whole place can't be disrupted.

What would you do with the therapist name and #? Remember the therapist can't tell you anything that's going on or discuss the case. She could listen to your input. .I think I would encourage the ee to tell the therapist how bad things are going for her at work.

• You need advice from a mental health professional. If you don't have an EAP spend a few bucks on a consult, so that you know what you are dealing with. It is correct that you don't have to put up with the disruption, but sending her away and telling to come back when her problems are resolved probably won't help much. Mental health professionals deal with these sorts of problems so ask for their help.