How would you handle this one??

This one reads like a hypothetical question you answer while being interviewed for HR:

I have an Employee who was overdue on his annual performance evaluation because his previous supervisor left for greener pastures. I contacted the director in charge of the department who has since been transferred to another department regarding the review. I was told to give it to give it to another manager because this employee worked closely him with during the last year as well as the current group leader who has only been here about a month.

The Manager and Group Leader jointly reviewed the employee and gave him bad review. They in turn talked to me about it and I advised them to set up an agressive performance plan with measurable goals for the employee. We also planned on another review in 3 months. I told them to go over the review with the new department director so that everyone was on board and on the same page.

I hadn't heard anything so after about a week, I asked the Group Leader what the status was. I was told that the Director was going to talk to me about the review. No problem - right?

The Director came to me and told me that he gave the employee the bad review but told him that he didn't agree with the review, that it didn't count, and won't be going into his file. Needless to say, this has caused a few problems.

How would you handle this one??

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What is your company's policy regarding employee reviews? Has there ever been a case in the past where an unfavorable review was not included in an employee's file? If not, then you need to let the new director know, gently, that he has overstepped his authority in this case, and fill him in on how your company handles reviews. Then let the employee know the same thing--that the director is new to the company and didn't realize that he wasn't able to "override" the review, etc.
    This is what I would start with, and hopefully, end with too.

Good Luck!
  • When you say that this has caused "problems," what do mean precisely? The Director obviously needs to be schooled in Leadership 101 behind closed doors, but that might not be an HR role. What happens with the evaluation depends on your policies. If the Director in question is violating company policy, then the Director of HR needs to sit down with him/her in private and hash it out.
  • Basically the problems are that he undermined his two employees, the Manager and Group Leader (we've already heard rumblings) and completely dissolved any creditability they had with their employee. And I have an employee who thinks that everyone hates him and the work he's done. I have no problem with the Director disagreeing with the review but I agree that it should have been done behind closed doors and that a resolution should have been reached before the review went to the employee.

Our Exec Dir of HR will be talking to him (I've already told him that it was unacceptable behavior and that it should never happen again) but the damage has already been done to the employee.

One good thing, after this happened we were able to implement a new process whereby HR has final approval on all reviews prior to them being reviewed with the employee.

• LFernandez:

You are very smart to have HR have final review before the PEs are dscussed with employees. It is easy to catch inconsistencies, etc. before they get passed on to the employee.

We require managers/supervisors to catch up on their reviews before they leave employment in order to leave in good standing. I don't think it's fair for an employee to be reviewed by a new manager or for a new manager to have to be put in this spot unless the employee has been under this person's management for at least 6 months.

If a manager or supervisor does leave without completing their reviews, I look in the employee's file to see if there has been any disciplinary writeups or anything that would contribute to a change in performance. If not, I simply give them the evaluation they had the previous year. Most of the time,this works out very fairly (or more so) for the employee.

Your manager used very poor judgment and caused, at the least, very hard feelings with the employee.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-11-02 AT 09:02AM (CST)[/font][p]Hopefully the director will think twice before doing/saying anything that is potentially harmful again. It's called Civil Treatment...and guarding words and actions. I wonder how the manager and group leader feel? Although if they wrote a bad review for no "real" reason and it is a good employee, that's another issue all together.

Well, they always say that something good comes from something bad...glad it worked out for you so far.

• I know that the Group Leader has hard feelings about it. When the GL and Mgr sat down with me to discuss the review before the Director got a hold if it, they had legitimate concerns and had worked out goals to address them.

The employee is a good employee who just needs a little guidance and more training. He's hardworking, pleasant and willing to help out when he's needed.

I've recommended to my Exec Director that we apologize for the confusion, and give a new review immediately as recommended by HR Manager above.

Hopefully that will happen today. I know if I was that employee, I'd be out pounding the pavement looking for another job.

HHmmmm.... that doesn't sound bad right about now :-?