Human Resources

This may sound like a silly question, but what is the formal definition of Human Resources? Thanks for your input.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hopefully Don will get out his dictionary for this one!

• Good question? Over 25 years of experience in Human Resources, I have never ask nor seen a true definition. I have accepted that in organizations there are accounting resource systems, information systems, operating systems, transportation systems, marketing resources, all have individual methods and assets required to make an organization operate efficiently. Additionally, each of these has a major component that make their system physically work and it is the people side of the business. The people side (The Human Resource)of almost any business will be your most expensive piece of the operating systems. In order to make the people side of the business function we created the Human Resources policy, procedures, benefits to keep them motivated and operating at peek efficiencies. With this came those of us trained, experienced, and seasoned in keeping the people asset oiled, feed, rested, and excited to do more or less, and in line with each other or seperated as necessary to remain functional. When you have a machine asset breakdown, we call the mechanic repairman to get the machine back in order and operating. Remember that machine assets do not make money when they are down. The same is true of the people. Good Luck Pork
  • The people who fantacize about spending a week at a retreat creating a mission statement can best handle this one. After you sift throught the flowery, politically correct, adverb laden verbage of sentences a wizard couldn't diagram, you'll realize it's 'The Personnel Office'. (Pork I tried to send you my fried turkey recipe but you won't answer your personal message) sorry x:-)
  • " An organization's most vital resource".

• I am actually studying for the shrm exam and have a textbook that I am reading. In it, the definition for Human Resource Management is "the function that assists organizations in achieving goals by obtaining and maintaining effective employees....3 vital functions are advisory, service and control..."

Don’t know if this will help you or not, but it was fresh in my mind since I just read it yesterday.