Handbook Receipt

I have an employee who refuses to sign a handbook receipt. His justification for not signing the receipt is the "at will" notice and that the company can make changes to benefits with or without notice, even if said changes amend or reduce benefit. It also states acknowledgement of receiving the handbook. Previous Management allowed him to refuse. I want the receipt signed, even if he writes on it he disagrees. If he continues to refuse I want to terminate him. Any thoughts on the termination or getting him to sign it?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Bama: Click on Search. Then fill in the space with Won't sign handbook, click on subject, enter, and Voila! You have some responses from a couple of months ago. There may be new one's too in response to your new post, but this is a start.
  • Present it to him in front of a peer who is willing to sign as a witness! I have the signature page in my enrollment page and all new employees sign for the handbook. An old employee would be issued the booklet in front of his supervisor or his peer, just make sure it is someone who is reliable. DO NOT CONSIDER ANY TERMINATION OR DISCIPLINARY ACTION. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS "ISSUING ACTIVITY" IN AN APPROPRIATE AND UNHIBITING ENVIRONMENT. FORCING ONE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THEY HAVE "AN ATTITUDE" THAT IS CONTRITE AND COUNTER TO YOUR OWN IS SETTING UP A HOSTILE WORKING ENVIRONMENT. I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU CONSIDER ISSUING THE BOOKLET WITH A WITNESS PRESENT AND QUITELY AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT SIGNATURES. AFTER THE EE HAS THE HANDBOOK IN HIS POSSESSION AND HAS LEFT, THEN HAVE THE WITNESS MAKE A STATEMENT THAT IT WAS ISSUED THE EE REFUSED TO SIGN FOR THE HANDBOOK AT TIME, DATE, AND AS WITNESSED ON A SEPERATE MEMORANDUM FOR THE RECORD. YOU SHOULD ADD, WHEN YOU ISSUE THE HANDBOOK THAT YOU ACKNOWLEDGE HIS REFUSAL TO SIGN FOR THE BOOK; HOWEVER, THAT YOU ADVISE THE ee TO READ, UNDERSTAND, AND ASK QUESTIONS OF YOU SHOULD THERE BE ANY QUESTIONS. With a reliable witness on hand you have covered the basis on which you want the ee signature, legally speaking.
  • He is going to sign an acknowledgement. We had a long discussion about "at-will". He doesn't like it - but agreed to sign.
    Thanks!