Adverse Impact Analysis

Does anyone have the electronic excel calculation for finding the adverse
impact for your company? We have been using this excel programmed calculation for years, but managers are concerned that the calculations are incorrect. Does anybody have the electronic OFCCP calculation for detecting adverse impact? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Can you give an example of the formula you have been using? My immediate guess is that you want the values the formula needs to arrive at a deired result?

• Sorry, I don't have an Excel formula, but the Uniform Employee Selection Guidelines define adverse impact as a substantially different rate of selection in hiring, promotion or other employement decisions which works to the disadvantage of members of a race, sex or ethnic group. Determining adverse impact is a four-step process.

1. calculate the rate of selection by dividing the # of persons selected from a group by the number of applicants in the group.

2. Choose the group with the highest selection rate.

3. Calculate the impact ration by dividing the selection rate for a group by the selection rate for the highest group.

4. If the ration is less than 4/5ths or 80% you have adverse impact.

You can check the eeo website for futher information.

• Sharon,
    I have just been introduced to the wonderful world of adverse impact and the software needed to calculate if it exists.
    I have software but it is copyrighted and that could get us in trouble...however, I obtained it from the EEAC (Equal Employment Advisory Council) of which my company is a member. We also received a copy of the Equal Employment Self-Audit Checklist that proved very helpful in ensuring that our practices are in compliance. And, for those few statutes I never understood of the purpose of, there is an explanation. I would recommend contact the EEAC and asking about IRA software. I cannot remember he price of membership, but think it may be based on er size.
    Good luck.

• Hi Sharon,
    I need to double-check, but I think the spreadsheet we use for performing adverse impact calculations is one that I downloaded from the Labor Relations Institute site (free, of course x:D ). If you would like a copy to compare formulas, I'll be happy to email one.
  • Thanks for all of your help. I think I'll try contacting the DOL to request the software. I'll try the EAC if that doesn't work! I appreciate your responses.

Sharon
  • If you could e-mail me the IRA formula you use, that would be great. My e-mail address is [email]sharon.mathis@srs.gov[/email]. Thanks....

sharon