employee of the month

Does anyone out there do "employee of the month" awards. If so, how do you go about picking an employee and what kind of recongition do they get. Any information would be much appreciated.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We did employee of the quarter and they received $100. We had up to three each quarter. We grossed the $100 up so that the employee actually recived $100. The employee had to be nominated by someone in writing with an explaination for why they felt this individual should receive the award. We had five selection criteria:

1) Exceeding goals or responsibilities assigned;
    2) Willingness to take on additional responsibilities;
    3) Fostering increased productivity or increased effiency;
    4) Cost containment; or
    5) Superior customer service.

The Senior Management chose the winners based on what was written to nominate the individual. We did it by quarter so that it didn't happen all the time and so that Senior Management only had to decide the winners four times per year.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • We have a Peak Performer of the Month every month that is selected by our Senior Leadership staff (Directors). The Peak Performer of the Month gets his/her name and picture on a plaque, $50.00 cash, a special nametag stating Peak Performer of the Month, their own parking place, dinner for two in our dining facility (we are a corporate training facility with on-site dining) and their pick of parking spaces.

At the end of the year, all 12 people are put into another vote for Peak Performer of the Year. The Directors of each Peak Performer get to put in their two cents worth about why their team member should be selected, and the voting is done by our Directors and Managers. The Peak Performer of the Year gets two round trip tickets to anywhere in the continental U.S. and $750.00 spending money. Unfortunately, I have never been selected as Peak Performer of the Month . . . . x:'(
  • We have one. We personalize the gift (a giant high tech squirt gun, online shopping spree, day spa) to the recipient. Its alot of fun and figuring out what to give each person is part of what makes it special.

On the other hand, I would be against a "Employee of the Year" type award it would single out one person.

I am not sure if an employee of the month award actually motivates people but its nice for recognizing contributions.

Paul
  • Oh Dear. I'm afraid I might be criticized for this response, but I have to truthfully tell how we work in our agency.

Idealists as we are, we strive have the spirit of appreciation of all employees at all times. We do not favor 'singling out' any one employee because we truly work as a well-oiled machine.

The philosophy is based on the extensive research done by author Alfie Kohn. I highly recommend that you all read his book, "Punished By Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise, and Other Bribes."

I would love to know if anyone else is of the same mind -- or not...
  • Managers nominate, HR makes the final call. We have employee and supervisor of the month, then quarter. Each receives $300 for the month, $500 for the quarter.
  • Please, don't ever be afraid to say what's on your mind. Your opinion and ideas are worth a million bucks, just like mine. Well, mine aren't worth quite that much; but yours are! I certainly can't speak for the Forum officially, but I really firmly believe that the real value of this thing is the varied opinions and rich experiences found on here. I might try to find that book. I already agree with the title's implications without reading it. x:-)
  • HR Beginner,

First off, I second what Don D said about not being afraid to speak your mind. The continuing dialogue that goes on in this forum helps to sharpen and refine our thinking which in turn makes us better at our jobs.

Secondly, I agree/disagree with your take on employee of the month programs. In a small, tightly knit organization I can see the potential damage of recognizing one person over others. However, in larger organizations, I think you could argue its always good to recognize individual achievement.

Also, the culture of each organization should dictate whether incentives are appropriate. I work for a non-profit religious organization. We have avoided financial incentives out of a feeling that money is not and should not be a primary motivator for working here. On the other hand, cash incentives are powerful motivators in other organizations.

I don't think anyone would disagree that most employees (if not all) seek recognition for their efforts and contributions. What form this recognition should come in should depend on the person and your organizational type.

Paul
  • We have an employee of the month program. They are nominated by supervisors and chosen by General Manager and Operations Manager and me, HR, based on written reasons for nomination. One employee each month is recognized at a monthly staff meeting, receives $100.00 American Express gift certificate, picture and name on a plaque. We also have a program that recognizes employees nominated by their peers for "going above and beyond". We have as many as are nominated and deserving each month, determined by management staff. Those employees receive a $25.00 American Express gift certificate. They are also recognized at the monthly staff meeting.
  • Personally, I am not a fan of Employee of the Month type programs. I base this on a personal experience in which an employee was nominated under a Safe Employee of the Month program who did not enforce safety policies in his own department. In the end, the committee that chose the winner selected this employee(I was on the committee, did not select this individual)despite evidence that the person was undeserving. I see these types of programs as an opportunity for favoritism, etc.

That said, one of our plants does have an Employee of the Month program that they instituted almost 2 years ago. It came to being as a result of employees becoming disgruntled about our Perfect Attendance program. (That's right, employees didn't think it was fair for people who had FMLA leaves should qualify for perfect attendance awards. I guess they have more sense that the enforcers of the law.) At any rate, the program is fairly simple and is not based on nomination. Each month, all employees who missed no time, had no accidents, and had not quality issues have their names put into a hat. Two names are selected each month. The employees enjoy the recognition, get dinner and a close-up parking spot for the month. At the end of the year, all employees of the month enjoy a group dinner at a local restaurant with members fo the plant management team.
  • We have an employee of the month. Our employee committee submits nominations to the Department Directors and the Department Directors also nominate people. The employee gets a plaque, $50, a day off with pay and a special parking spot for a month. His picture goes up on a board for residents and staff to see. Criteria: Good attendance, no tardiness, adherence to dress code, cooperation, professional attitude, demonstrates performance above and beyond job duties.

At the end of the year, we choose an Employee of the Year from among the chosen employee of the months. That person gets $500.00 and a plaque.

Downside - we've had criticism from staff who felt we ignored their suggestions when a Dept Manager felt a nominated employee didn't meet the criteria for that particular month and ,of course, the staff wouldn't be privy to the reasons for not chosing their favorite.
  • Thanks everyone for your comments, ideas, and suggestions! I appreciate everything that was said (for and against) employee of the month recognition awards and I will take it all into consideration.

This is the best place for advice xclap.
  • I've also had a bad experience with the Employee of the Month elections. At the time I worked for a Hotel, and it became so political in spreading the winners out over the various departments that it became somewhat of a farce. If someone from Food & Beverage was the clear favorite, but we had winners from that department the prior two months, we would pick someone else instead (say from Housekeeping)who was less deserving. But at least that way it looked like we were being more fair and spreading it around. I was glad when we discontinued it!