HIPAA POLICIES

Does anyone have any sample HIPAA policies they would mind sharing. I am specifically looking for some direction on a policy regarding transmission of information via electronic means, including cell phones, NexTels and two-way radios. Thanks.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Felicia,
    We have begun drafting my company’s policies for HIPAA but have yet to create anything regarding electronic transmissions. I do not know what type of industry you are in but we do not use cell phone or radios for transmissions. Basically, we have phone conversations and send e-mail that sometimes contains personal health information (phi). We also transmit eligibility to our healthcare providers but have "firewalls" (whatever that means) to ensure that the Internet and e-mails are fairly secure.

If you are using an outside agency, they may be able to provide you with direction regarding how specific your policy will need to be. It could be that you leave it very generic.-- Who knows, HIPAA has been a nightmare for me. Each time I think I have a handle on it, something new comes up.

Good luck.