Employee Favortism

Need advice. I am second in command in my Division, therefore, whenever the Manager is out, I'm in charge. When our Manager is on vacation or attending a conference, the Office Assistant always finds a reason to be absent. On one occasion she was out for almost a week. This is not an isolated incident, it has been happening every year for the four years I have been in this position. We have to ask for a doctor's excuse whenever a person is out more than 3 days. Therefore, I asked for the doctor's excuse, but did not receive it for several days. When I got the excuse it was not on a doctor's letterhead, but it had a signature. I turned the excuse over to our Assistant Director. He felt the excuse wasn't valid without being on letterhead. Before the situation could be resolved, my Division Manager returned and took over the process. I talked to him about what had transpired, as well as the problems I always have with this employee when he is absent. He cut me off (as usual) in mid-sentence and began to make excuses about her behavior as he always does.

Many of the staff in our Division come to me complaining about her negative attitude as well as her unwillingness to fulfill requests that are in her job description. I go to our Division Manager about the issues (like today, that's why I am writing requesting advise), and all I get is an excuse for her attitude stating that she has a lot going on in her personal life. I still don't feel that personal problems (which we all have from time to time) is an excuse for rudeness, or to show what I feel is favortism when it comes to following the rules.

I don't know where else to turn. I really love my other job duties, but I do not want to have to deal with this situation anymore. In your opinion, do I have the right to refuse to supervise the Office Assistant? She only reports to me when he is absent.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think you can or should refuse to supervise this employee. First off, the company has a policy about doctor's excuses after three days but does it have a no fault absenteeism policy? If it does and it is not being enforced there may be problems down the road when you try to enforce it on an African American (is that the politically correct term still?), someone who is in a same sex relationship or even a man if this employee is a woman. They will cry discrimination at the top of their lungs even if she only gets away with it because she is his favorite and not because of her skin color or the like. Secondly, she is showing signs of insubordination by her unwillingness to perform job duties. Once again, if she goes unpunished while others are getting reprimanded it will only be a matter of time before you nail someone who is just itching for a lawsuit with a big windfall. I would discuss these things with the Division Manager and if he won't listen, go to his higher up and simply explain that you are trying to protect the company from future lawsuits.
  • He told you 'she has a lot going on in her personal life.' Reading your post, it occurs to me that there's a dangerous possibility that HE may be in her personal life as well. Too many coincidences coupled with his protection of her. But, that wasn't your question, was it?
  • Don your good, I was thinking the same thing! Her personal life and work have run together and are creating a messy situation.
  • There's only one thing more dangerous to your health than getting in the middle of two women in a catfight in the office, and that is getting in the middle of your boss and his paramour in the office.
  • You most certainly have the right to refuse an assignment, but you should then be prepared for the consequences that may follow, such as losing your job. It sounds to me like your boss has given you pretty clear signals despite your good intentions that the assistant is "hands off," so you can either get with the program or go over his head. My advice would be to go with the flow, so long as it's not illegal.