Who Pays?

It seems to be on the increase that clinics are refusing to fill out the forms we require unless the patient pays them to do it. I've run into this only twice but am hearing some of you mention it. If you are experiencing this in your community, are you telling the employee/patient it's his responsibility or is your company absorbing it somehow?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have experienced this a couple of time recently, usually from the same doctor or clinic. We have elected to pick up the charges (so far) to expedite the paperwork flow. Unfortunatly I believe we are seeing a trend that i'm sure will become more prevalent as news get out to the bean counters in the HMO groups.

I'm curious to hear what other are experiencing also.

• The couple of times when we became aware of it, we did not pay the charge as we did not want to create a new revenue stream for the medical community in our area. Employees don't care if the employer pays. They do care if they have to pay. Instead, we posted a notice on the bulletin boards that said, "Dr. X or Clinic Y has decided to charge patients for filling out the forms they need. While we believe that this is part of the service that should be rendered as a part of an office visit, much the same as writing out a prescription for you, we wanted to make you aware that these people or entities are charging their patients additional money to serve them." Within weeks, each doctor or clinic called us to inform us that they would no longer charge and asked that we remove the memo. Amazing isn't it.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Beautiful! Thanks for sharing that one.
  • How did the doctor know you had a memo posted?
  • Our employees told them when they called to have records transferred to another doctor or to make an appointment (saying they would not make the appointment if they got charged for the ppaperwork).

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • We do not pay a physician to complete paperwork. As Margaret said, you do not want to provide a revenue stream for physicians in your area. If one group finds out they can charge and get away with it, then all will begin doing this. We have only had this happen a couple of times and I advised the employee to complain loudly. If employers are required to complete and keep up with FMLA paperwork and regulations, I think physicians should also be required to do so. I think posting the names of the groups that are charging is a great idea.

• margaret's response is right on the money. it is not really a legal question as you can set the policy on return to work requirements.
  • I agree with Margaret. I generally advise clients not to pay the doctor's fees for filling out paperwork, unless the client is requesting unusual information (for example, if the employee came back with medical release that just says "light duty", the employer might send the employee back to the doctor with a form it created which gives all the essential functions. Since that form is out of the ordinary, I might advise the employer to pay the small fee. But the standard forms (FMLA certification, etc), are the employee's responsibility to get.

Good Luck!
  • For disability certification forms, we are having this happen. (One doctor charges $10 each time.) I think this is horrible. However, they can do it. However, we do not pay for it. If the employee wishes to have the disaiblity paid, they have to provide the certification. They may be able to negotiate with the doctor on this. I would certainly try, but it is up to them.
    E Wart GA
  • Good morning Don: Our employees must pay when required! I have not had a single situation of this type of an issue raised as yet in North East Mississip. With the politicians dead locked in Jackson and the medical insurance pools announcing a 45% increase in their cost, it will not be long that these types of certification for FMLA and other types of medical excuses, etc. will raise its ugly head seeking remedy for relief. When it does we employers will need to be prepared to adjust, accordingly. If it cost the patient to get an excuse or a certification for employer requirements of documentation to operate our procedures and policy execution we just may have to do without or be willing to pay for the excuse or certification. If you here anything else brewing in this area please let us in Mississippi know. Pork
  • I've heard a few rumblings from our EEs about docs charging to complete forms. I sympathize with the EE, but certainly don't offer that the company will pay! Only vocal opposition from the patients can change this type of practice; the company paying the fee without complaint accomplishes nothing! Plus, the EEs need to learn to take charge of their own medical care (many of our EEs consider it MY job to direct their health care).