Deli Concerns

I have a part-time job working for a grocery store. I work in the Deli dept along with a number of other clerks. Currently I have two co-workers not getting along very well. Apparently one clerk was sexually harassing another clerk. The clerk being harassed went to the dept. manager and complained about this behavior. The manager admitted that she had heard other compliants about the same employee. However, the only thing the manager did was change the schedule so the two clerks were never on the same shift. Now, due to business need, they have to work the same shifts. I myself have never witnessed any "inappropriate" or "unprofessional" behavior by the harasser, however the workplace has now become tense and has ultimately created a hostile environment. I advised the clerk who was harassed to make a statement to the store manager. He did, but again nothing has been done (the original act happened a year ago!). If you were in my place, what would you advise me to do?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-20-02 AT 10:39AM (CST)[/font][p]Reach for the roast beef and add two pickles. The other party knows the process, having already pursued it once. If you are uncomfortable, you may consider looking for another part time opportunity. Tension does not necessarily equal hostile environment. You say you've not seen anything and have no direct evidence and an event reportedly occured a year ago. I wouldn't suggest you stir the pot.
  • Catbert, It reads like you have a male co-worker who is being harassed by another employee (the other co-worker is either a male or female, doesn't matter either sex can be offended by some un-wanted attention). The normal process would be for the "harrassed co-worker to confront the harrasser and clearly tell the individual to stop the attention getting activity. There should be a witness (you maybe)to the conversation which clearly says "STOP" THE UNWANTED ATTENTION! After which when it continues then your co-worker should again inform the manager with the same witness present. The manager then must take more apparent action. Un-apparent action may have already taken place and you would not know. However, the manager would also not know that the UNWANTED ACTIVITIES have continued or started up again unless someone tells the manager. Given that no action has been taken by the manager and the activity has not stopped then advise your friend to keep specific record of times, dates, witnesses, and specific actions taken to be free of the of the UNWANTED ACTIVITIES. Take the information to EEOC and let the chips fall where they may. She or he is protected by law and does not have to live in the work place that is tense and could turn violent should this problem continue. You too are obviously being affected and you can leave or, likewise, get assistance to change the working environment. If you like the Deli Grocery work and it fits your needs, then do something to get the tention out of the work place. Where is the Deli Department Head in all this? He/She must be the harrasser! Good luck, I hope this helps! "Dandy Don" and I usually come down on the same side in the forum concerns, but here we differ a little in the recommended approach. Pork
  • It really depends and the one year that has gone by is significant. If the manager really did talk to the employee who did the harassing and since that time the discomfort between the two of them is just being mad at each other and there has been no further offensive conduct, Don is probably correct. If on the other hand, it is clear that the current discomfort is a continuation of the original event, then some action needs to be taken. There doesn't seem to be much going on in the area of prevention, such as training.