Employee Literacy

One of our managers needs to find out if one of his employees can read because many mistakes have been made in his performance related to filling orders properly from type written tickets. Should he confront the employee directly and ask that person to read from a passage and offer assistance with educational resources if needed? If not, what is the best way to proceed. Also, if the ability to read is a requirement/essential function of the job, is there any problem with terminating his employment provided we have proper documentation?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My response will be based on the presumption that the employee cannot read. There are individuals who do not read or write who manage to get along without anybody ever knowing of the problem. It takes quite a lot of intelligence to do that. Many of these individuals are embarrassed about the situation, which is why they hide it, so dealing with this situation should be carefully done, not by asking them to read a passage. It would be best to discuss the errors with the employee and ask for ideas why the errors are occurring. The employee may own up to the problem in which case it is in the open and you can deal with it. In this conversation, there may be ways in which you can show the employee written materials and see that he/she doesn't comprehend. Then you have an opportunity to ask in a low key way if he/she cannot read the material. At that point you have a decision to make - transfer the employee to a job where reading is not required or terminate the individual. If that occurs the emphasis should be on the errors, rather than focusing on the inability to read.
  • Thanks for the input. Your response is generally how I would proceed but I was considering a worst care scenario where an employee may be very defiant even when approached by a sensitive and empathetic manager. Just wanted to proceed with caution and get some other opinions.
  • This is a tough one, emotionally; but, HR folks never become emotional creatures, right? We have a maintenance supervisor who is 62 and reads very poorly if at all, but he's a helluva good supervisor and has managed, as Gillian suggests, to compensate. When your guy was hired or put in the position, did the requirement exist and if so, how'd he get there? It would be a shame to go the termination route, but then, it's always a shame to have to terminate 'good' people. I suspect you are right that he has a reading challenge. Please work with him and view this as an opportunity. You can get him enrolled in a literacy program in your community without the knowledge of anybody other than his family, and they will be thrilled. You will be left wondering who got the biggest payoff from it, you or him! Be sure you have the supervisor's attention when you explain the confidentiality of this issue and how handling this properly will make the company a better place to be.
  • Has this employee always had poor performance? Or is it something that has become worse over time? There are some illnesses that may cause a problem with eyesight. Diabetes is the first one that comes to mind. This employee may have the need for medical treatment and not be aware of it.

• I do not think the issue is related to a medical condition. The employee has been with us less than six months, is in his mid twenties and appears to be in good physical health. I would not however rule out some kind of learning disability but do not want to make assumptions at this point.