How do YOU do interviews?

I have been given a mission from my HR director to find quizzes for interviewing skills. In other words - testing your knowledge on interviewing skills for what are good questions, what are bad questions, what are the "avoid at all costs" questions, etc. She is trying to build an in-house workshop. Any ideas? Thanks as always for all your help! x:-)

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you are going to do training I would sugguest starting with the legal responsibilities of hiring, such as ADA, FLSA, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, etc. Brake these down to a 30 min. or less meeting on each topic and have a quiz at the end of each topic.

I have a wonderful binder called 10-Minute HR Trainer by BLR Repros. It has about 16 topics related to hiring. Each topic has an outline, handout or case study, and a quiz. I have been using it all year to train our managers and I think things are finally sinking in! If you want more info I can email you, let me know.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-10-02 AT 03:35PM (CST)[/font][p]We try to use the behavioral interviewing approach. Preparing appropriate questions follow this sequence - list the job duties, then the knowledges, skills and abilities, then write appropriate behavioral questions. For example, if the job is a receptionist, a duty would be "answering the telephone", an ability would be the "ability to deal with difficult callers" and an appropriate question would be " Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry person" and so on. The video "More than a Gut Feeling" by American Media, Inc. is excellent. When the emphasis is placed on the job related stuff, the list of questions that you can't ask become less important because the interview planner is programmed to ask the appropriate questions right from the beginning.
  • Dianna,

Also check our HR Executive Special Report: A Legal Guide to Successful Hiring. It's free for Employment Law Letter subscribers ($47 for everyone else). All of Chapter 2 is devoted to the application and interview process, including which questions to ask and which ones are no-no's. It also explains the different protected classes and how to avoid discrimination in the hiring process, including an example of each situation and how to handle it.

Here's a link:
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/special.shtml#hire[/url]

Hope this helps!

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Those HR Executive Special Reports are an excellent resource...well worth the money!