I love this place!

I have been in HR for over six years. Some days I love it and other days I want to quit, but one thing that has made my job better is being able to come here to the forum and read questions and opinions of other HR professionals. It has really helped me to know that I am not the only confused person in this challenging profession of ours. I appreciate everyone who takes the time to post. :)

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You are so right. I always gain something every time I visit. Sometimes it is just reinforcing what I knew was correct and other times it makes me look at a different perspective.
  • DITTO!!!!

I have learned so much from this site. I think books are great teachers, but nothing can replace experience. At this site you hear it all. Not to mention how fun and interesting some of the 'regulars' are. xclap
  • Virtual communities are a change wave that will be a lasting legacy of the internet age.Kudos to our Web Master at M. Lee Smith,Chrisite Reeder,for holding it all together.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-26-02 AT 03:17PM (CST)[/font][p]Thank you, Mike! Although I must admit, it's definitely not a one-man show (luckily!). I work with several others who "make it happen" on a daily basis. I share the kudos with them ... and with all of the forum participants who are REALLY the ones who make the forum a success. You all are great!

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • >I have been in HR for over six years. Some days I love it and other
    >days I want to quit, but one thing that has made my job better is
    >being able to come here to the forum and read questions and opinions
    >of other HR professionals. It has really helped me to know that I am
    >not the only confused person in this challenging profession of ours.
    >I appreciate everyone who takes the time to post. :)

Right on! As much as I love the levity this forum brings to my day...I also find that I'm learning a lot more about HR and the laws, as well as more about Human Nature. It's amazing how many different responses are given to the same situation. It's all based on experience...Can't wait till I can "fill the shoes" of the seasoned professionals and dispense my own sage advice!

• Thanks for putting into words what I have been thinking all along. It is a great way to start the morning. Some days it's like a chat with a friend, and other days it's a day in the classroom of HR. I always appreciate the input from so many directions--and it helps ground me from negative thinking.
  • I whole-heartedly agree with all of you. I am fairly new to the forum but I am fast becoming addicted. I learn something new everyday. Thanks to all who take the time to give their input. My to-do list of policies needing revamping or written keeps growing!
  • I try to start each and every day by checking in on new posts - thank you to everyone!xhugs
  • I couldn't agree more! This forum has taught me much about HR management. Even though I do not post a lot of messages, I certainly have enjoyed reading all of your comments daily! Thank You :)
  • Surprise, surprise "Dandy Don" has not posted; I bet he is waiting for the e-mailman to get to his workarea. I, too, love this place and have begun to check myself on time spent here. Our MIS guru/dawg contacted our Office manager and evidently ask her to make sure I understood the company's liberal policy on the internet usage for I was spending a lot of time in a program called HRero. I work for the General Manager and he spends lots of time searching and intertaining his person on the funny stuff found on the net. While I spend my time for very worth while material HR stuff. Glad we all enjoy this forum, but please don't let your personal feelings cause you problems with the words on the board. See you round the marketplace! Pork
  • I heartily concur!

Whether I'm reading a thread that I find relevant or interesting (or both), or I've posted a question or problem of my own, I find this forum to be very helpful. I especially enjoy the fact that there is such a great mix of experience levels and industries. I'm beginning to think that there's nothing this group can't handle.

Thanks to all!
    x:7
  • I only wish I had more time to read all the great posts, questions, and advice! My job SO gets in the way!

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • I agree that this is a great place. I feel that this is just an extension of my department, a little friendly talk and advice among co-workers, just like stepping down the hall to the next office.

I like the fact that no matter what my workplace seems to be doing, I can come here and find that I am not alone. Someone else has usually encountered the same situation. Also, for those times that I am feeling sorry for myself, I think I can usually find a post that makes me glad that I am where I am and not where that person is. x:D
  • It's really great that so many people love Employers Forum. But come clean everybody -- how many of you are related to Christy? Is this just a plot to get her a big raise? Did it work? x}>

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-27-02 AT 11:50AM (CST)[/font][p]Well, I had not noticed this thread before.

I can't add much to what has already been said. I too keep learning or reinforcing my knowledge of HR..after 23 yers. And slowly my typing is improvinggk. Don't you thinnk? #-o

As for whether we're relatives of Christy's or plotting to get her more money, it's both... $$$ I get a cut of her raise, based upon my being a 47th cousin twice removed on her Aunt Gertrude's side of the family -- the aunt the rest of the family never talks about. I bet she didn't know that. x:-8

But I do have to take issue with her -- Christy Reader, not Aunt
    Gertrude. This is not a "one-woman show."

Hope to see some of you at the Vegas seminar. I'll be at Caesar's dessert buffet line with all the chocolate goodies piled high on my tray. x:9 Look for me.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-27-02 AT 03:38PM (CST)[/font][p]James, James, James,

Why is everybody always pickin' on me? x;-) Hatchetman is certainly right as I posted in an earlier post (not about Aunt Gertrude):

>...it's definitely not a one-man
    >show (luckily!). I work with several others who "make it happen" on a
    >daily basis. I share the kudos with them ... and with all of the
    >forum participants who are REALLY the ones who make the forum a
    >success. You all are great!

Tell Aunt Gertrude I said hello, Hatchetman. Does she still have pink hair and wear leopard print mini skirts? And is Uncle Harvey still into collecting beetle legs? BTW, the "frogskins" are in the mail ...

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]