Non-profit religious organization....

Hi folks!

This is a rather hard question so hold on to your hats!

We are a religious non-profit organization based in the U.S. what we do is send individuals out all over the world to help plant churches, etc. My question is....we are redoing our application for admission into our program and we are wondering if we are subject to U.S. employment law. Can we include these items on our application?

Marital status, Date of Birth, Gender, Picture of the individual and if they are not born in the U.S. confirmation that they have a green card.

To send a whole family or individual overseas and to take care of them we would need to know this information up front.

Anyone with knowledge about these things?

Thanks!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No real knowledge but I think that the first issue is whether these individuals are employees or not and the second is, if they are do you have a religious exemption for your employment practices. It would probably be worthwhile to find an attorney.
  • I agree with Gillian in that it would be best to contact an attorney, but you could also check the EEOC web site. My understanding is that religious corporations are in fact exempt from EEOC regulations regarding employment practices.
  • Doria,

You could contact Gammon and Grange. They publish "NonProfit Alert" and offer legal assistance to non-profits. We have used their services to review our documents and policies from time to time. We are a religious not for profit conference and retreat center.

Contact info:
    Phone (703) 761-5000
    E-mail: [email]npa@gandlglaw.com[/email]

Gammon and Grange
    8280 Greensboro Drive 7th Floor
    Mclean VA 22102-3807

Hope that is helpful to you!

Sincerely,

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]