Labor relations--union information requests

Our union has taken to demanding lots of detailed information related to grievances we are discussing. Where can I find information on what we must provide and what we have discretion on?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think you will find it. What is it they are asking for?
  • they are asking for copies of purchase orders over a long period of time, dates of meetings and people present, lists of employees who have been paid a certain job code in the last five years, job descriptions of nonbargaining unit jobs, etc. Things that are halfway related to a given topic of discussion but are not something we have on hand and which would take a lot of manpower time to dig up. Lot's of them are not even due to a specific complaint, but just to see if they can find one. Our union is very active in soliciting grievances, calling people up if they think they have a complaint and having them file a grievance. I view the information requests as a tactic to keep us from moving forward on other issues, but I'd like to have better parameters as to when I can tell them no, I'm not going to give you that!
  • I don't see anything on your list that they should be entitled to. There should be nothing in the contract allowing the bargaining unit to information from company documents and business records such as purchase orders or non-bargaining unit jobs. It's a fishing trip, but I would not bite. Kindly send a note to the Union President asking that the request be (1) reduced to writing stating specifically what they want and why, and (2) citing the Article and page number of the contract clause that they feel entitles them to the requested information. Imagine the request coming from a salaried employee....Would you comply? Certainly not. Then neither would you comply with the union's request unless the contractual agreement clearly states their right to access such information. Now, if they told me they had misplaced their copy of grievance number 12 from last year, I would provide them with a copy out of courtesy. If it gets to be a real spitting match, fax a copy of the request letter to your labor attorney for review.
  • Unions do have some rights to some information. For example, a list of employees names and addresses who are in job classifications that are covered by the union. (The union generally has a right to this information, so it can commuciate with the employees it represents).

The advise to get the requests in writing is very sound. I would then run the specific requests by a labor attorney to determine which ones, if any, the company needs to respond to.

Sounds like the union you have would be more than happy to file a charge with the NLRB that you are failing to provide information that it is entitled to.

Good Luck!!
  • Generally a contract will require that the company furnish the union annually with a list of all bargaining unit employees including addresses and telephone numbers. What I see in the post is not that at all, rather seeking information totally at the other end of the spectrum. Also, an overzealous local president will always have somebody between him and the NLRB (an international, regionally based, rep) who will advise and assist in the process of filings with the NLRB. This guy has better a better understanding of what the union is permitted to have and what the company is obligated to provide. He will short-circuit many frivilous-filing ideas the local chapter has. Again, I see nothing in the posts indicating that the company is in violation if they do not comply. The disclaimer being that we haven't read the contract and don't know exactly what's being sought.