Complainers in group

We are experiencing a growing number of employees (4 to 5 from a group of 25) who are not wanting to do some portion of their job fuction due to ailments like: stiff neck, sore back, tired fingers, etc. These employees work in an assembly area that rotates the employees to different fuctions to combat repetitive and strain issues. The complaining people of course do not want to do some portion of the rotation (surprise, the harder more detailed part).

We have reviewed the areas involved and performed an ergonomic survey which led to adjusting table heights, adding chairs and cushioned pads to stand on (which the hard working people in the group were pleased with), but this had little positive result on the group i'm writing about. In addition we are now getting complaints from the other employees within the assembly area because they are having to pick up this other groups work which means a higher percentage of the harder more detailed work.

Our next plan of action is to start performance related discipline.

Please give me the benefit of you thoughts on the above.

Thank you,

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would not excuse the employees from the job because of general complaints and I would say write the employees if they were just engaged in general gripping. But these employees are not just complaining, they are claiming that the jobs are causing them injuries. This is a very dangerous time for the employer. If the employer forces an employee to work who is complaining of an injury, the employer can (atleast in Texas) be held liable for worker's compensation retaliation (which can subject an employer to a lot of damages).

I expect that you are shortly going to get many claims for carpel tunnel syndrome or some other repetitive stress type claim from these employees.

You may want to get your medical, safety, and legal people involved now. This is a difficult situation, and should not be taken too lightly.

Good Luck.
  • Thank you for your input (I'm new to this site and am ecstatic at this new found resource).

I agree with your assessment and am bracing myself for to the inevitable claim/s. We as a company would not force anyone to do a job if they were injured but the other side of the coin is: do we accept the employee/s not performing essential portions of there job function without a WC issue and set a precedent that they can pick and choose which operations they wish to do?

Stuart A.
  • No. You can't let them out of the essential functions of the job. But if they have medical limitations, those should be documented and followed up on.

Some of these people might have easy fixes if they go to a dr. (like a short break every hour).

If the doctor says they are incapable of doing the essential functions, regardless of accomodation, you might have reason to let them go. But by all means, get with your employment law attorney before you do so.
  • Moving forward, I suggest that you retool your orientation (even if its informal) to include a segment on the rotations they will be required to work through. Instill in them early that they will be performing various tasks, some of which they may not like. Consider a plant tour for the candidate(s) to show them first hand what the jobs are. Maybe that will help in weeding out 'punkin heads' who get their foot in the door and then decide they'll run the asylum. Just a thought. x:-)
  • Your WC carrier must be very proud of your committment to good ergonomics. Did you get a discount on your coverage? I know -- dream on!

I recall before ergonomics became such a hot topic, the manufacturer I worked for changed their frozen food packaging line from a flat conveyor to a trough system. The troughs reduced the strain on hands, elbows, shoulders and backs by reducing the stretch for product off of a flat conveyor. BUT, we suddenly started getting complaints from some of the women of rashes on their upper bodies. It seems no one considered that some of the women were very short. The frozen product located just under their busts was causing the rash (cold, moisture and bras). So, we had to give the short ladies a platform to stand on!

If you had an ergonomist conduct your job survey, maybe they should be informed of the newest complaints to be sure that something wasn't missed. Otherwise, I think performance discipline is a good starting place. It should take just a few "slaps" before the slackers realize you're serious.