Performance review systems

The topic of performance reviews has been out here for discussion. Has anyone found a good performance review system? Our company is trying to find a "template" so to speak or review system that is available in the marketplace to move our staff to performance based reviews.

We are currently evaluating our positions, job descriptions and duties to identify those items that we can quantify to move in this direction. Is anyone using a system? if so, what is the system and how easy is it to use and implement?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have performance evaluations twice a year and have changed from a standard perf eval to goal oriented review. The first part of the review is based on goals and rated 4-0(4-Excellent; 3-Good; 2-Average;1-Poor; 0-Failure). The total is weighted by 70%. Then we have 11 performance factors rated 4-0 (4-Consistently Exceed Expectations; 3-Occasionally Exceeds Expectations; 2-Meets Expectations; 1-Progressing; 0-Unsatisfactory/Needs Improvement). The total of this section is weighted by 30%. The total of the two calculations is the employee's performance rating. We're in the process of tieing this into an incentive program- raise/bonus.

The only way this will work is if you have good goals. We sit down with each employee, go over the company goals, department goals and ask them what goals they could set that would help the department achieve its goals. It is a joint venture. Bad side - sometimes it is difficult to come up with "meaty" goals for certain positions.

We discovered that we communicated this poorly at first and people were commenting that they were too busy with their daily work to stop and try to achieve other goals. We had a meeting and discussed with them that their goals should relate to their everyday duties, not something extra.

Hope this helps.
  • I have one that I have used with my clients and they really like it. It uses five rating categories, but overlays a numerical scale from 1 to 25. This means that those that are "meeting requirements" can be rated 11 to 15. This gives the manager the ability to show improvement by raising the rating from 12 to 13, but not the overall performance rating. Each category is weighted according to the core company values and the specific departmental values. For example, a computer programer would be weighted more heavily on "Job Knowledge" than an accounts payable clerk. Thus, you have everyone using the same basic rating system, but able to adapt it to specifc job categories. I'll fax you a sample if you will send me your fax number. You will need to do some training of the managers before you roll it out, but you probably need to do that any way.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]