Updating the Affirmative Action Plan

It time for our company to update our affirmative action plan. My predecessor left and didn't leave me with my guideance, accept that I would be receiving something in the mail to tell me what to do. I have never worked with AAP's before and didn't know if anyone could help me out. The AAP is complete, it just needs updated information. Do I just need to update the numbers? I do have all this informaiton, i.e how many women, minorities, disabled, etc. I was unsure of what else needs to be done....or if it all depends on the company. When you go to update your AAP what do you do? I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The problem that you have is made worse by the timing. The Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) is operating under lots of revised regulations about how an AAP is put together. I don't think that many people really know how to change them under the new regulations. Unless you are under a time crunch or an audit, you might want to put this on a back or medium burner until more people have more experience dealing with the new regulations.
  • I have used another consultant to do AAP's for all of my clients. I don't do them. She would charge you a fee, but I know she quite good and quite reasonable. Call me if you are interested and I'll put you in touch with her.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • While it is true that the regs have changed (gotten "easier" they say)if you have an existing AAP it shouldn't be too hard to update. You need to create a whole new Plan each year, but hopefully your predeccessor did the work on PC so you can go in, change the dates, and reprint what I call the "verbiage." That is the EEO Policy statement and other parts that stay the same from year to year. Then you just plug in your new numbers for the Workforce Analysis, 8-Factor Analysis(this has been changed to a two-factor analysis), and your goals and timetables, etc.

I have tried to get the new census data for AAP's but was told it wouldn't be ready until 2003. That will help you also as you can use the percentages from last year's Plan. Although I don't claim to be an expert, I have done AAP's for years and have had a few OFCCP audits in several states. Every AAP I've seen is done a little differently - the requirements are the same for everyone but can be addressed in a variety of ways. A consultant might help, and you can get the new regs online from the dol.gov site which is where I would start.

Good luck.