PHR Self-Study

For those who have used the various PHR self-study materials available, what are the relative pros and cons? As a first-class tightwad, I'm looking at the HRCP program, but I also recognize that if it doesn't get the job done, it's no bargain.

(This is all coming from my own pocket, BTW.)

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I did a self-study for my PHR certification process and basically utilized the outline given in the study book. Then, I utilized the internet and various books to gain the information on each section of the outline. With that said though, I graduated from college in May 2000 and took the PHR certification test in December 2001. So, most of the material on the certification test that was theory material (i.e. learning theories, organizational structures, etc.) I learned in school and it was still fresh in my mind in addition to still having my old college books as a resource. I think that you could probably utilize a local University library and read many of the organizational development books available for the theory material and I found the internet to be a good resource for the "real life" material such as the various laws, regulations, etc. Hope this helps -- good luck.
  • I agree that would probably be the ideal situation... but I'm an hour from the nearest university, so that's less practical than I'd like it to be. I'm willing to spend the money to transfer my time and effort away from procuring the information and toward studying it. I know myself well enough to understand that I could get sidetracked very easily. Although, I might be able to get started with the old textbooks I have.
  • Contact HRCI for possible options ([url]www.hrci.org[/url]), as well as the University for any off campus continuing education resources.

• >Contact HRCI for possible options ([url]www.hrci.org[/url]), as well as the
    >University for any off campus continuing education resources.

I have contacted HRCI... that's why I'm looking for a comparison of the relative strengths of the HRCI program and some of its competitors. Again, there are no universities nearby with anything practical to offer. I'm in rural Missouri - I don't even have a SHRM chapter close enough to warrant joining.
    (I am a national member of SHRM, though.)

• I don't know if you've noticed, but several of us who are studying for the PHR in Dec who are members of SHRM are doing an online support group. If you will check the SHRM bulletin board under HRCI certifcation and you will find the contact points. We have a group set up on Yahoo and have a weekly chat on Wed nights. It may fit your situation.