Political Campaign Buttons

Politics are heating up and we're a Florida public sector employer. Can employees be prohibited from wearing campaign buttons, etc.? Help!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As a public sector employer, your employees enjoy some additional protection for free speech in areas of public concern. These cases generally come up when an employee publically criticises an employer in an area of public concern. If an employer tries to impose discipline, a third party will balance the employers needs against free speech and the need for the public to know. Discipline has been overturned in such cases.

The essence of free speech is support for various political candidates. Is there really any need to suppress this speech by prohibiting political buttons? Can you show this is really disruptive to the work place? Understand that long political discussions on work time or arguments over politics that are heated are an entirely different matter.
  • In the ideal workplace (according to some) the employees would only do one thing. Work. Free speech and association includes taking a break with whom you wish to break, having conversations with others about most anything you wish, having bumper stickers on your car on company property and wearing political campaign buttons. Although we might wish it to be otherwise on occasion, people (even employees) do have the right. I remember being told years ago by the executive director of the agency I worked for to remove a bumper sticker from my car. I refused. Instead, I put two of them on. The politician was Senator Thad Cochran, during his first run for the U.S. Senate. The same director was asking employees to contribute to another candidate whose campaign he directed. We all know arm twisting for contributions is a violation in the public sector. About the worst that can happen for wearing buttons and being vocal is being overlooked for promotion. It's probably wisest to not wear the buttons or bumper stickers for that reason alone. But what can you tell a young rebel? Like I was.
  • I would be cautious about disallowing it. It invites a union campaign. You can bet the organizers will promote the wearing of buttons in support of the union...
  • Since you're in Florida, its "Hatch Act" may give you some guidance on your general questions about political activites of public employees in Florida. Just about all, if not all, states have a "Hatch Act" similar to the federal Hatch aAct" addressing the rights and prohibitions of public employees in state and local government to engage in various forms of political activity.

[url]http://fcn.state.fl.us/dms/hrm/rules/60l36.html[/url]