I9

Do I understand this form is not sent to INS but that it is kept in the Human Resources Dept in a file separate from the Employee's File?

If that is the case, if the documents that are presented look untampered with...is that the end of the verification?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Alice, I have another I-9 question posted that has generated a bit of discussion. In trying to be clear on a very confusing subject, I have researched the INS website. They have a very helpful section that will give you a lot of good information. Go to [url]http://www.ins.gov[/url] and click on the Employer Information button on the right side. It's about the best info. I've found. It explains the employer's responsibility for verifying documents as well as info. on filing the I-9s.

If you have only a few employees, they can be filed in the personnel file, but if they're in a separate file, it's much easier to review them and produce them if you have an INS audit.

Good luck.
  • Alice,
    you can request a handbook from the same site to use as a refernce guide. I believe it was written in the early 90's, but it's the most up to date information avaialable.