Reference Checks before Interview

Can anyone tell me if a company is allowed to conduct reference checks on an applicant before he/she is actually inteviewed? We have a candidate that looks good on paper but we would like to know more about their abilities BEFORE we go to the expense to bring he/she in for an interview.

I am in Oklahoma, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Jumping in here... I won't interview anyone without first verifying their work history and education. This isn't an indepth background, but I have learned I save myself much time and aggravation if I confirm that the education and experience the applicant lists on the application is factual.

I am always amazed at how many people are not truthful about their experience/education. When it does happen that someone's credentials listed on their application are not verified by a former employer or educational facility, I write them a note letting them know their was a problem with verifying their information. If it is in fact a mistake, this afford them to opportunity to clear it up and we move forward.

Just my 2cents worth.
  • Thank you for your input. I agree with checking references first but wanted to know if any law prevented it. Apparently, there isn't. (I was afraid that it was like drug tests which can't be required unless a firm offer of employment has been made.) I will, naturally, send something to the applicant if we decide not to interview him based on reference check. Seems that would be compliance with ECOA. Thanks, again!