COBRA , re-marriage & the owner

The owner/president's ex-wife has been on COBRA since their divorce. He has been paying her premiums as part of their agreement. He notified me today that she re-married in July and now she is responsible for paying her own premiums.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a diplomatic way for me to communicate with her (a woman I've never met) that she now needs to pay up? Is this even my responsibiltiy? Should his attorney be handling this with her attorney? Should I obtain a copy of the divorce agreement (or at least the section outlining this issue) for the file? The situation feels a bit awkward to me.

Thanks.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I hope you don't mind, but, I ran your question by our insurance broker who is a very professional and responsive partner (Kim Greene, Ross & Yerger Insurance, Jackson, MS). She suggested a letter from you such as the following:

August 6, 2002

Name
    Address
    City/ST/Zip

RE: ___________ Medical Benefit Plan

Dear Ms. ______:

It is our understanding that due to your recent marriage, your COBRA premiums will now be your responsibility. We hope the following information will be of assistance to you.

Our records indicate your COBRA premiums are paid through ___________. Should you wish to continue your COBRA coverage under the __________ Medical Benefit Plan, please submit the monthly premium of $______ to:

Attn: __________________
    Name of Firm
    Address
    City/St/Zip

Should the monthly premiums change, we will provide written notice to the above address. Please update us if your address is incorrect, or if it changes in the future.

Thank you. Should you have any questions, or need additional information, please do not hesitate to call. My direct telephone number is __________.

Sincerely,

• Don: I see that this response was your 500th post to the Forum. I think congratulations are in order. Well done. x;-)
  • Don -

Many thanks for your very helpful research & reply. I will definitely use that letter.

And congratulations from Wisconsin for 500 posts (which is probably more by now)! I appreciate your professionalism, style, and sense of humor.

Tracy