Epilepsy

Just got done interviewing someone for a housekeeping position. She showed me her medical ID necklace stating that she was epileptic. I'm not that familiar with epilepsy--should we decide to hire her, what things should we be aware of, if any?

Thanks.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • One question...

Is she qualified to do the job? If so, you are required to make "reasonable accomodations" under the ADA. I'd consult an expert on what would constitute reasonable accomodations. You also don't have to place a disabled worker in a job that poses a direct threat to her own health or safety. Tough to prove if you don't know the severity of her condiditon and how it might affect or not affect her work.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
  • On her application she lists a housekeeping position from '89 to '93 which she had to leave due to an aneurysm (sp?). I'm guessing that's when she became epileptic. She then had another housekeeping position from '94 to '02, then moved to our area. However, I think she moved to our area to live closer to a relative. She does not talk very well so it was difficult to understand some of the information she was trying to convey.

I did ask if she was able to perform the functions of housekeeping with or without accomodations (you know, the standard noninterrogating question) and she said yes.
  • Paige,

Sounds like you've answered your own question then. She's qualified and has previous experience.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
  • I've had several employees who were epileptic. This can usually be controlled by medication. As they age, their medicine will need to be readjusted. If their medicine isn't working, they will have seizures. Don't let that frighten you. Just make sure this person's supervisor knows what to do to keep them from harming themselves if on the rare chance this happens. We never had to make an accomodation for any of these employees except to give them time off to get their medication readjusted once or twice. There is a case out there where an employer was not allowed to argue that it was unsafe to hire an epileptic to drive a fork lift arguing that it was a safety hazzard. Because the individual had not had a seizure in years, the employer was found to have violated the ADA. The ruling contained language like the employer could not rely on "speculative dangers" as a reason to deny this person a job. Don't be afraid to hire this person if they are qualified.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Please indulge me a moment of "lessons from my past life", but having worked with people with disabilites for a couple of decades, wanted to mention that I believe what is PC and more importantly preferred by people with disabilties is to be referred to as having epilepsy, rather than being epileptic or having epileptic employees. A person has schizophrenia, not he's a schizphrenic. Sorta like the person uses a wheel chair vs. is confined to or wheel chair bound. By using the with, has, uses language it diminishes all encompassing labels and sterotypes.Thank you for a moment on my soap box!
  • Sonny,

What a great education for us all! Thanks for sharing!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]