Light Duty and Budgets

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-25-02 AT 08:31AM (CST)[/font][p]I have an EE that sustained a foot injury off the job (not WC) but he can't work his normal job since he's a mechanic for 4 weeks. His doctor released him back to work on light duty - desk work only. We have plenty of work for him to do, but my question is this: Each department has their own salary budget. Whose budget should he be under? I have managers and directors all fighting because they don't want him on their budget. My thought is, if he's back to work, being productive and we don't have to pay him sick time - let him work.

Any input as to how other companies handle this would be helpful so when I go to my COO with my recommendation, I call let him know this is how it's handled elsewhere.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our hourly employees complete a daily time card. If an employee worked in 2,3 or 4 different areas/departments that day, he charges his time accordingly.

The company holds monthly financial meetings. Each department manager MUST account for items that are over budget. I have found that over the 12 month period, it evens out.

"I have managers and directors all fighting....." sounds as if you need to schedule these guys in a Be-Kind-to-Your-Neighbor seminar.