Just Plain Don't Like This Person

Have any of you ever had the experience of working with or "inheriting" a person that you just plain didn't like working with? It's not that the person has really done anything that you can put your finger on, but is not a good personality match for the job and does not have a particularly good working relationship with you. There are also some trust issues - again, you haven't caught the person in the act with anything, but there is just something there that you have a feeling about.

One of my managers really wants to get rid of his assistant and get someone more to his liking. He inherited her from a previous manager, but she really does not fit in with his management style. Work itself is not an issue, but the previous manager sort of let her work the schedule she wanted. This manager more or less wants her to stick to a strict time in and time to leave. This employee also tends to sulk when she doesn't get her way or is asked to do something that she would rather not do.

I think these are some of the hardest decisions to make. This person is also a minority and is the type of person who would not hesitate to go looking for a fight.

Is there a clean way to cut this person loose - "sorry, but you are just not a good fit?" or is he just stuck with her unless he can get some type of documentation about performance? I say he is probably stuck with her, but that's not what he wants to hear. He is unhappy and she appears to be unhappy in her job, but likes the benefits and freedom of where she is - so she will hang on for dear life!

Help!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Have the manger put her on regular hours because that's her new boss's job requirements. She may decided she doesn't want to stay. The other behavior that you're describing is what every manager calls the "attitude problem." Managers seem to believe that you cannot address this behavior. Do not use "attitude problem" or "sulking" to describe the behavior. That's a judgment, not a behavior. Describe what she is doing and issue corrective action for "negative workplace behavior". Is she rude when she's "sulking"? Or slamming things around? I think you have to give her the opportunity to fix the problem. If she winds up being written up more than once, the manager may want to sit down and have a conversation with her saying this isn't working out and give her 30 days to look for a new job. Otherwise, I'd walk her through all the steps, particularly since she's in a protected class.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I hope that discrimination laws are designed to protect employees from unfair treatment not excuse them from meeting the requirements of their position and having a positive attitude towards their employment.

Be fair but don't be intimidated. I agree with Margaret regarding the schedule. Don't let race be an issue. I sure hope its not...

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]