Unemployed need assistance

One of our employees had surgery at the beginning of the year. While she was employed with the company she was placed on short-term disabiltiy (employer funded/self insured). Since then the company has closed its operation and terminated all employees. The now, ex-employee has not yet been released by her doctor to go back to work and was told by the unemployment office that she can not collect unemployment since she is not employable. Can anyone give me some advice regarding TN if there is another organization she could contact for some financial assistance?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When I worked in Tennessee I referred a few employees to the United Way. They won't give her any money but they may be able to refer her to one of their agencies. She can also apply for public assistance and I would recommend she check with a church in her area. Is she on TennCare? If so, someone there may be able to help her get temporary government aid. If she has dependent children she will almost certainly be able to get food stamps.

Good luck.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-19-02 AT 01:23PM (CST)[/font][p] was told by the unemployment office that she can not collect
    >unemployment since she is not employable.

Beate: Just for clarification, the reason she is not eligible for UI is because she was and is, according to her physician, medically unable to work. The UI test generally in most states is "Is the claimant ABLE and AVAILABLE for work?" in addition to monetary eligibility. Since she has not been released, the claims office can't rule her to be eligible. I think TN UI law is almost identical to MS and that's what ours is in MS. Advise her (but be sure not to promise her) that as soon as she does have a release from the doctor to go back to the claims office and reopen the issue with them. There is a good chance she will then be ruled eligible by the Claims Examiner at the State Office, particularly because at that time she is "out of work through no fault of her own". You're one of the good guys for helping this person out! x:-)