layoff selection reference material

Does anyone have or know of any good resources to provide managers regarding liability considerations of the layoff selection criteria?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not sure of any reference material available, but when we did our layoff I worked closely with our attorney. I'd say this would be your safest bet if you are planning layoffs. We placed employees on layoff status based on job skills, seniority, job qualifications, etc. We spent several days assessing our labor situation and what jobs we needed and who could perform those jobs. There were several employees who were placed on layoff status that had more seniority than some who we kept, as the more senior employees did not have the job skills of some of the newer ones. It's also a good idea to read up on WARN (Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act) as this may apply to you if you employ more than 100 and are planning on placing at least 50 on layoff status. By the way, we are non-union.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-10-02 AT 08:31AM (CST)[/font][p]I have a wonderful reference book I use, Human Resources Guide, published by West Group, A Thomson Company (Warren Gorham Lamont), 610 Opperman Drive, P.O. Box 64833, St. Paul, MN 55164-1801. Chapter 7 is devoted to Terminations and has detailed information on staff reductions, plant closings, etc., including WARN form letters, etc., to guide you. It is a subscription and copyrighted so I do not pass it on, but honestly, I have found it of great value on a variety of topics.