anger management?

We are a small manufacturing firm in California, approx. 75 employees. I'm a little concerned about the recent behavior of a newly hired sales representative. I had just presented a large open forum meeting about our new benefits. During the Q & A portion, this new employee started asking questions about designating beneficiaries on the life insurance policy. He started to get agitated and in a loud voice said he wanted to make sure his ex-wife did not get a penny! Several employees in the crowd gave me nervous looks. Afterwards, a manager from another department said that he has observed this new employee's behavior when he goes on a break. He evidently goes outside to smoke and he talks out loud to himself. His work performance is good and he has a lot of energy. His background check uncovered a DUI but his personal references were positive and he does not need to drive for the job. I would like to talk to him and reinforce our EAP and possibly give him an article about ways to manage anger. Am I over reacting? Any suggestions?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would talk with him just so that he gets the message that you have taken note of him. Sometimes these types will push buttons to see how far they can go.

But I would approach him very lightly. Say something like "Hey, I heard your comments in the meeting about your ex-wife. You seem really upset. Our EAP offers counseling for this type of thing. Have you considered calling them? I would hate for a personal issue to begin affecting your work or relationships here."

Expect that he might misinterpret your motives or think he is in trouble. Try to stay on his side. Sounds like a valuable employee who may need a bit of your attention.

Nipping in the bud is better than having to kick em in the butt.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • Thanks, Paul. Your sample wording was excellent advice. You are right -- I would much rather nip it in the bud right now.
  • I agree with Paul and would add this. Some employees react negatively when you suggest counseling and want to know if you think they are "crazy". He may be more receptive if you tell him that based on his comments at the meeting, it is obvious that the issue of his ex-wife causes him a great deal of stress. You want to offer the EAP as a way to obtain some stress maanagement help on this issue. Somehow people have no problem seeking help to manage stress, but are reluctant to go get counseling. You don't care what motivates him to go, just that he gets help.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I would just sit down with the employee and advise him that you are concerned about some of the comments he has made and you feel they are not appropriate in the workplace. I would also advise that they seem stress related and you would like to offer him the option of going to a person who could help him manage his stress level.

I also try to approach an EAP to employees as a "safe harbor" for them to air their frustrations and anger - what is said in that arena is private and not passed on to anyone at the organization. This kind of softens the words "counseling" and "being crazy", etc.

I agree it should be addressed sooner than later as other employees do tend to get nervous around people who start behaving this way.