Manager's Manager wants copies of investigation reports

I recently completed two investigations regarding the actions of an employee. I explained to his manager the results of the investigation and my recommendation as to the appropriate corrective actions to take. I also offered to let him look over the investigation report if he had any questions. As we had thoroughly discussed the contents, he declined and elected to take the actions I recommended.

When he let his manager know, that manager emailed me and requested a copy of both investigation reports. My problem with this is:
-I do not want investigation reports outside of the HR dept, i.e. issues of retaliation, privacy
-Largely because I know this manager's manager is militaristic and one who tries to control everything, in any area, not just his own. I am keen on keeping him as uninvolved as possible in HR.

I am thinking I might offer to let him review the reports in my office as I never send them out, but am looking for other suggestions as to how to tactfully and appropriately handle the situation

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would neither send it to him nor let him review it in my office. I would, though, give him an opportunity to have me go over the generalities of the investigation with him but only to give him a general idea of the scope of the investigation, the magnitude of the problem, the intended consequences of your decision and the confidence that you have in your investigation's conclusion. Your objective, I feel, would be to give him confidence in the process and allow him to understand your conclusions and at the same time it gives you an opportunity to establish your credibility with him. Unless your company has an unusual organizational structure, I doubt if this manager has the authority to review/change/alter your actions. And I would invite the first line manager to this meeting as well, otherwise, you'll get feedback like, "you told him this and you told me this." Depending on the structure and the personalities involved you might also start by advising them both that not only is the investigation confidential, but, so are the outcome and THIS discussion.
  • I think you are wise to only let personnel know on a "need to know" basis. If you have advised all parties involved as to the outcome of the investigation, I think you have met all your obligations. I think it's a dangerous policy to give copies of such documents to anyone and I'm not even sure the manager's "manager" even needs to know anything other than what his employee has told him.
  • I've never heard of a senior manager over an emplyee not being allowed to get resview the results of the investigation and evne review the investigaiton findigns and supporting evidence. The decision maker on the discipline needs to be entitled ot see the actual evidence supporting the discipline. The decision to impose or not impose discipline is not HR's call to make, in most companies.

If this senior manager can't be trusted on confidential matters, then he shouldn't be a senior manager, let alone manager. But that is not your final call to make.

If you really have problems in discussing the investigation with this manager, then I strongly suggest you go talk to your management chain and get their support or decision on what you should be doing. Don't let it hit them broadside when your manager gets the call from an executive saying that you're not cooperating with senior management and why hasn't your manager done something about your non-cooperative attitude (and you know that's the way it's going to come out or at least get percieved by your management chain if they are caught off guard).

• I agree with you that the decision maker on the discipline should have the opportunity to review the evidence, which is why I offered the employee's manager the opportunity to review the report. At this time, the decision has been made and the corrective action completed.

This request is after the fact. I would be happy to review my recommendations with the other manager and like the idea of having the employee's direct manager present.

I view HR as a support function and my customers are the managers and people in this company. On one hand, I believe that to refuse to provide any information would be poor customer service, but equally to provide too much information would be poor customer service for yet another group of customers.

Thank you all for your input.
  • "I view HR as a support function and my customers are the managers and people in this company. On one hand, I believe that to refuse to provide any information would be poor customer service, but equally to provide too much information would be poor customer service for yet another group of customers."

Good for you! - That is a great attitude to have. x:-)