Sensitivity Training

I'm looking for sources for training material, seminars, classes, and/or on-site trainers in the area of sensitivity training for our management staff. I've found information specific for the various types of federally protected discriminations and statutes but nothing to develop a program on how we're to communicate and work together enlight of our cultural, ethnic, etc... differences.

Any ideas?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-08-02 AT 07:56PM (CST)[/font][p]Ray,

I have two suggestions that go two entirely different directions. First, I can recommend two people who do specific cultural and generational training. One does it for employers that have large hispanic workforces. The class is called "Gringo Management" and covers the cultural differences as well as the communication differences. The other person covers racial and generational differences (Baby Boomers, Generation X, Generation Y, etc.)in two different classes. One is called "Not Like Me – Diversity in the Workplace" and the other is called "When I Was Your Age – Managing a Multi-Generational Workforce".

The second approach is to do workstyles training and teach people how much they have in common with each other regardless of their age, gender and cultural differences. The class also teaches employees strategies for dealing with other "types" to reduce conflict in the work place. If you want more information on these sessions, please call me and I'll be glad to help you.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Ray,

I would be careful about "diversity" or "sensitivity" training and consider Margaret's second option. While my experience is limited, most folks I've talked to agree that focusing on how people come together in the workplace is often far more effective than asking them to work through the layers of cultural education that come together in the form of discrimination and prejudice. This approach seems to allow people to grow through stereotypes to see the strengths and weaknesses of everyone individually.

If you do decide to move forward with the sensitivity option, maybe you can do that as the second component of a program that begins with the workstyle training so that it is part of a whole that focuses on the job to be done.

Good luck!

Jessica