Hostile Environment

An upper-level manager has no trouble screaming at and belittling fellow co-workers, not to mention subordinates. She comes across to outsiders as upper-crust but insie the office uses a hostile voice when addressing items or situations that don't go her way. Her superior has been looking the other way. I say something needs to be done or we could very well be looking at a lawsuit if she jumps the wrong person. Is that true? Is this a form of harassment?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's probably some type of harassment, altho probably not illegal unless she does this to same sex employees. She probably does it to everyone and would not then rise to any type of sexual harassment. This sounds to me like old fashioned ill-mannered rudeness. Seems to me, she needs some increased awareness about her style and tone. Her supervisor would be the one to do this after you've brought it to his/her attention. Playing ostrich with this one will further alienate and dishearten the staff who has to deal with her. Unless your organization gives her a license to be a jerk, I'd try to chat with her supervisor and if that falls on deaf ears, go to your supervisor with a game plan. People like this lady don't deserve to be in positions of authority. Good luck
  • Should you do anything? Yes, but only if you want to continue having good people work for you. I wouldnt tolerate anyone treating me that way. If a manager repeatedly yelled at me or was extremely rude, I would be out the door and I would talk all my other hardworking, intelligent, friends with me.

Why this type of behavior is tolerated is totally beyond me. As a Gen Xer you have to remember that no job is worth that type of abuse to us. Is it harrassment? Does it matter? Its poor work performance in my mind. Communication is an essential part of most jobs and it doesn't sound like this lady meets your expectations.

So, who would you rather lose?

Good luck!

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]