SUSPECTED EMPLOYEE FRAUD

We are a home health care agency. We were approached by an employee of ours that a co-worker of hers that shares a case with her talks a lot to her about ways of getting around the government and their system. The employee that approached us is suspecting that this co-worker of hers does not pay taxes and possibly has bogus social security numbers (possibly from other states). We have only received this information through the co-worker not directly. Upon hire we received the proper documentation for the I9 form and completed a state criminal history check which is procedure for every employee. My question is: Should we investigate this matter in more detail and if so would we be in danger of a law suit of any kind?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-15-02 AT 12:40PM (CST)[/font][p]What are you going to investigate? Is it job related?

You don't know if the co-worker is making up stories, or if the first worker is just trying to sound "big." Unless you have some specific information about a possible work related issue, such as the two different social security numbers for this employee, I don't see where you would start without confronting the employee directly. And if she denied that she had two different Social Security Numbers,, where would you go? Also, consider what you would need to do under FCRA and any similar state law if you started an investigation on this.