Forced HR Certification for HR Manager

We are growing rapidly and our Executive Director wants me to force my HR Manager to obtain HR Certification at her own expense and on her own time. I have a real problem with this because she: 1) has great HR experience (>10yrs); 2) possesses a MS degree; 3) is doing a great job; and, 4) and I see no definable reason why our growth requires, all of a sudden, a need for a certification that did not previously exist. I particularly have a problem with this because the Director wants to force the additional training/education yet is not willing to pay for it.
If push comes to shove and he wishes to force the issue and she does not want to do it can we discipline her (even though I don't want to) and would she have cause for action? Comments?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Certification is a great thing to have, but everything else you describe is off the wall. Unless this is some sort of subterfuge to cover discrimination of some kind, the forced education is probably something that can be done, and if the person resists, could lead to termination, I suppose.

Having said that, to force this person to do this at their expense is wrong. The employee should take her great experience and take it somewhere where it is appreciated. Then she should get her certificate at the new employers expense and be a better HR person because of it. The certificate lends credibility no matter the length of experience.
  • Just curious...Is the MS degree in HR? Actual case in point--Someone with an advanced degree in a totally unrelated field. Even after being involved in HR for many years, this person still does not comprehend the ramnifications of certain practices and has put the company at risk on many occasions.

I do agree that the company should cover the financial cost of the initial and continuing certification process.
  • If the company is requiring the HR Manager to get a certification, they should be willing to pay for it. I totally agree that the certification is worth the time and expense to get. It cost me nearly $1,000 to obtain this. I went through an 11 week training class and then the cost of the certification. But...even though my company didn't require it...they were good enough to pay for it as continuing my education. Encouraging and paying for educational endeavors says a lot about a company. The training and exposure that an HR professional gets from this training can save the company thousands and thousands of dollars in the long run.

• Being book smart and having a certificate is one thing. Being people smart and having common sense is another. The first can be taught, the second people either have or don't have. It sounds like you already have someone who is experienced, educated and doing a great job. The certificate would be icing on the cake, but not necessary. It is obviously not a requirement of the job because she was hired without it. It sounds like she is doing a good job and therefore it isn't required because she is not competent in the field. If this director still insists, he should have to pay for it.