Time off for family emergency

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle the situation of an employee who will not be granted one unpaid day off for a family medical situation? There hasn't been any abuse of time off or performance in the past. It's for a serious surgery for the employee's father-in-law (he is accompanying his wife on the out of town trip for one day). I realize it doesn't fall under FMLA, but is there anything other law or protection for this employee? Or is it just as simple as the company saying "no"?

Just curious.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In Massachusetts we have the "Small Necessities Leave Act" which allows an employee 24 hours of job protected leave during a 12 month period. One of the conditions an employee would be eligible would be to "take an elderly relative for professional services related to the elder's care". Your state may have a similar law. However, if you have no similar state statute I would question as to why the time off is being denied to what seems to be a good employee. I believe the ramifications of not allowing the time off for what appears to be a valid reason will be much greater than if you allowed the time off. If you are concerned about establishing a precedent by allowing the time off, tell the employee it is being done on an exception basis and will not be considered precedent setting.
  • There is no other law, etc. that would cover this. But, I would expect, in the name of compassion that the company would reconsider and let this person have this time off. One day does not seem excessive to me at all.

I remember when I had to help my husband care for his chronically ill mother and father and often had to leave work to travel, my boss rearranged my schedule so that I could work out this situation. I will always remember this man fondly for his kindness and consideration when he really didn't have to do this for me. To me, this is the true measure of a human being.

The way I look at it, YOU (the boss or decision maker) may need this type of help one day and you would hope that someone would have this consideration for you.

I could not imagine working for a company that was this hard hearted.

• Thank you for your input. This is not the company I work for, we're much more understanding. I'm asking on behalf of someone else, and he was granted the day off - after asking three times - only if the hospital can fax proof of the surgery.

• After this experience it is time for him to find a better employer.
  • How sad there are still such cynical, suspicious people in the world.