Exercising on Company premises

Currently, we permit employees to play football on a grassy field on our property, to play basketball in our parking lot where we have installed a hoop, and to play roller hockey in another section of our parking lot--all during lunch time. These activities are entirely informal and not organized by the Company.

What is our liability here, workers comp. or otherwise, for injury?

Also, we received a request today from a group of employees who would like to use one of our conference rooms to use exercise tapes during lunch time. This activity is also informal and not organized by the Company.

What is our liability here, workers comp. or otherwise, for injury? Does it matter that this activity is taking place inside and not outside?

We are in the state of Pennsylvania.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's my guess that your "property and casualty" insurance will have to cover any accident on company property since they are not working and are on their own time. I could be dead wrong. You should contact your comp carrier and your property-casualty ensurer for the precise answer.
  • I would closely look into this if I were you. As you are knowingly allowing them to use company property, you could be on the hook. At the very least, you might want to have them sign waivers in case they are injured. You also have to consider what happens if one of the roller hockey people rolls into another employee who happens to be crossing the parking lot on their way back into the building. Not to add more doom & gloom - but allowing people to use company space for their organized activities (like exercising) could also open the door to using company property for union organizing activities.

I hate it when you have to be so careful instead of allowing people to have fun and exercise at work. You have to weigh what is more important to your company culture.
  • Sounds like a fun place to work. The answer depends entirely on your state's workers' comp law. It would be covered in some states, not in others. You probably should contact your workers' comp carrier or a PA lawyer if you need to know for sure. But would you prohibit the activities based on potential liability? The answer may be depend on whether they're on break, after work, etc.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • We just installed an exercise room. It's only to be used during non-working hours, of course, but I think maybe a release is in order. Do any of you have a current document you might recommend?