Favoritism

During a recent managers meeting, the lead manager announced she will no longer entertain complaints of staff favoritism. She sees it as motivation for others to aspire to find ways to please her. "Besides, it's no different from the way people choose their friends."

Please direct me to printed resources for information/training countering this thought process. This is not a rookie manager. Most of us sat in disbelief, but I fear the influence she may have had on others. Personal words of wisdom and support greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-03-02 AT 10:52PM (CST)[/font][p]While I have an emotional reaction to "favoritism" (negative), in reality, there may not be anything wrong with it. It depends on what is really meant by the term. If the favoritism is based on what are often called "non-merit" factors or social characteristics not related to the job, then too much favoritism is deleterious to the employer. On the other hand, favoritism, when it is based upon established relationships and objective considerations (even thoguh other poeple may disagree), can make things easier for manager and supervisor The team sinks or swims together.

A personal friend of the manager may be just as competent as the employee who has been on the job for a little bit longer. But, is it so wrong for the manager to see that as a strong plus when deciding between the two?

I'm not syaing that it's either favoritism or merit decision making on hiring, promotions, and assignments. A right balance has to be there. And employees basically must have a sense that they can join in the "favorite" club by an objective standard related to work. The utlitmate sense of fairness and appropriateness sitll have to be there even with "favoritism" acknowledged.

So, I'm not so sure your manager is wrong without knowing more about the specifics under which she said it and what she means by "favoritism."

• There are countless management styles, and it certainly seems this manager's style is unique. As a general rule, it is a sign of poor management to block and/or stifle complaints because communication needs to flow upward and downward. I predict this manager is not long for your company if she keeps managing using a "no complaints" style. I don't know of any specific programs for curing this, but some companies successfully use Dale Carnegie courses on managers who don't know how to treat people.