Dress Codes

We have no dress code and management doesn't want one. However some of our female office personnel are complaining about one of our office girls wearing very short shorts. She doesn't interact with the public in any way. We are a manufacturer and she is in accounts payable. Other than modesty or professionalism, there isn't any job related reason for her to dress more conservatively. Furthermore, we are a family owned corporation and some of the corporate officers(male) wear shorts and sandals to the office, as do other female employees. Are there any suggestions? Should I address this with her and if so, how? I really don't want to be the tape-measure police in regard to the length of shorts allowed in our office.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • From what you posted on what hte compnay's practice is about dress and emplyees wearing short, what ws it about this employee specifically that the other female empllyees were complaining about?

Deos she have cellulite on her legs (obviously, I watch late nite TV and "infomercials" x:D ); does she just look too "unfeminine"; is she "revealing" undies, for example? Once you know why the female co-workers are complaining, you may be better able to figure out 1) whether or not you (the company) need to address it with her and 2) if she does need to be talked to, whether it would be better for a female manager or supervisor to discuss any problem with her.
  • Your company sounds pretty relaxed. I guess I would really think twice about saying anyting to the employee at this point. The complaints might just die down. Plus, if you go to the employee and talk with her about it, she is naturally going to wonder who complained. I think that will cause even more problems.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • On the flip side, what if her short shorts generate unwelcome attention (or are doing so and you don't know about it)? You would want prevent/stop that wouldn't you? I suggest if possible, you observe the attire and made a determination from there. If, in your opinion, the shorts are not appropriate even in a casual office environment, then absolutely say something and not that someone is complaining but from personal observation. Clothing that is inappropriate because it is too casual, short, revealing, see thru (I have had to deal with that!) needs to be addressed because it is a distraction from the reason employees are there, to work, regardless of whether the person is male, female, fat or skinny, etc.