HR Problem

I have a question that you guys may be able to help me with. Here is the question.

What would/could you do if you were the Human Resources Manager and your boss doesn’t adhere to the laws set for hiring? For example if the boss tells you in a round about way that he doesn’t want a particular race of people working at his company? Where could I find information on this?

Where could I find information on this matter?

Thank you,

Ron Hollingsworth

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would be looking for another job. It's just a matter of time before your company becomes embroiled in a mega bucks discrimination lawsuit and you will be right in the middle of it.

You might try educating him as to what this type of attitude and behavior might cost him, but if he is this prehistoric, he probably won't listen to a thing you have to say.

• As long as you are sure he really meant what he was saying and not just venting frustration or having a bad day, I would quietly begin looking for another job. When you land a good one, enjoy telling your boss why you are leaving.

For style points you could tell him your great, great, great grandmother was of the particular race he dislikes.

Seriously, much of my job satisfaction comes from the fact that I have tremendous respect for my boss. Respecting and trusting my boss is a non-negotiable. If thats gone, I leave.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-16-02 AT 08:33PM (CST)[/font][p]While I abhor what your boss has done and agree that you need to find a new position, resist the urge to tell your boss why you are leaving. He isn't a professional. You need to be. Never stoop to his level or burn a bridge. Just tell him you found another opportunity and that it is time to move on.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Later you can report the company to the labor board annomously!
  • Margaret,

You are probably right! I confess a part of me hates being "professional" and "mature" and likes a good scrap. But you make a good point. That stuff can come back to haunt you.

I am the kind of person that tells a restaraunt manager about a rude waiter or calls the police to report a reckless driver. I don't do it to make me feel better but I feel somewhat obligated to try to right a wrong. Why leave it to the next guy to have to deal with?

Is it possible that the boss might actually change his ways if he realized his innappropriate views were causing good people to leave?

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • I actually worked for an individual like this (although he was a sexist, not a racist) and I saw my role as helping to educate him while protecting the company from liability. I let him know up front that I was not willing to do anything illegal, and since he wanted to keep me around he assented to my views. While I'm not sure if he ever grew as a person, he certainly respected my contribution to the company. I wish you luck with a difficult problem.