internal candidates have rights? Quick reply appreciated

Internal candidate applied for mgmt position. New resume, which was vastly different than old, which prompted new background check. No third party, no credit check-- completely internal check.

Information appears bogus and vastly different than original resume from hire. Falsification is obvious.

Employee will ask what discrepencies there were when we terminate.

Do I have to tell her anything?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think that you will be on safer ground if you ask this person to explain the discrepancies. You may end up with the person admitting that one resume or the other was falsified. In that case you are better able to make a separation than assumptions on your part. This is based on the assumption that the two resumes are vastly different as you indicate and that they are not a minor discrepancy.
  • I agree with Gillian. Get your fact straight first. Then ask the employee to explain the discrepancies.

Some people are really bad with dates and remembering things. Now, some might say that makes them management material.... Just kidding, you might not want to hire her but the offense might not be to the level of termination either.

Better to proceed slowly then jump to conclusions.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • I would agree to check with the candidate to get their side of the story. If the orginal resume was correct, then they didn't falsify their application and may be able to argue that they should be able to keep their current position. Termination may be going a bit far.