Losing your job.

I just recently lost my job due to a substantial reduction of force. My question is: Is there a common policy or regulation that companies follow in bringing back former employees should business increase and rehires are necessary? Is it not in the companys' best interest to bring back experienced workers, and to lessen their burden of unemployment payouts? Is their any law that requires first consideration to former employees over new people? This is all new to me and I just want to know if there is any hope in that direction.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ruth,

I'm sorry that you have lost your job through a reduction in force. I know it's of little comfort to you, but it says nothing about you as a person. There are very few people in this country that have been in the work world for a significant period of time have not experienced this at least once in their careers. It happened to me once. I loved my job and was heart broken when it ended. However, two of the best jobs I ever had came after that. Many people say that looking back, a lay off forced them to pursue opportunities they would not have followed had they not been laid off. I encourage you to explore new options or get some training and/or education you've always wanted to pursue.

Now to your question, unless your employer is under some sort of contractual arrangement (like a union contract or a written company policy) the company is under no obligation to bring any of the old employees back. However, most employers will ask those employees back that have good work records because they know more about them than anyone brand new they could hire and they get experienced workers back that require minimal training. This, of course, assumes things turn around for your employer and they are able to open up new postions.

Good luck. Why don't you tell everyone on the Forum what you do and where you are located. Who knows someone on the Forum in your area may be looking for someone like you!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Me too, along with many others. I was reorganized/downsized/whatever in 1986. Things were hard for awhile, got better, and ultimately proved to be a turning point in my professional development. Don't look back. If you are recalled and want to go back it's a gift but the future is ahead.
  • Perhaps we should consider adding another topic to our list that includes job openings and those seeking jobs.
  • To Margaret, Gillian and Njjel,

. . . let me say "Thank You" to each of you for your kind and warm responses to my recent job loss. Your words and suggestions are inspiring and healing.

My Best,

Ruthe Thornton