Email of terminated e/e

Question #1: Are we allowed to 'resurrect' from our system, the email of a terminated employee? Would this be a privacy infraction?

Question #2: (This is a long shot!) Do you think excessive time spent 'shopping and talking' on the internet during work hours could be counted towards 'absence' since that person is spending time away from job duties? (You guys are gonna 'slay' me for that one aren't ya!....Be gentle...)

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • 1. Assuming that the company has a standard policy that email is for company business and belongs to the company and the employee has no right of privacy in the email, you can access it. If you don't have an email policy, I suggest that you develop one. If you access the email, and you don't have a policy telling employees that they have no right of privacy in the email, you may have some invasion of privacy issues and run the risk of being sued. In that case, you may want to balance how important the information is to you and your company.

2. It would not be an absense. Rather it would be a performance issue.

Good Luck!
  • You do need a e-mail policy and also as an internet use policy. I'll be glad to send you both if you want to e-mail me.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]