Policy Re Romance in the Workplace?

Some of our managers are asking for a policy to discourage romance between co-workers. Does anyone currently use one that has been successful? Thanks.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You won't like my answer, but I discourage my clients from trying to legislate romance in the workplace. Most people get romantically involved with someone they work with at one time or another because it is the place to meet someone once you get out of school. These policies never stop romance in the workplace, they only seem to drive romance underground so the company doesn't know what's going on between coworkers, including potential sexual harassment. Besides, hormones do not read policies!

With that said, I would encourage you to put in a non-fraternization policy. This policy prohibits any manager or supervisor from being romatically involved with anyone they supervise directly or indirectly because the company not only has some legal liability for this, but the morale issue of favoritism is even greater. I'll be glad to furnish you with a sample of a policy I use for my clients. E-mail me and I'll send it to you.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Susan,
    In addition to Margaret's good suggestions, here is a link for some material that may help you and your supervisors work your way through this tricky issue: [url]http://www.hrhero.com/frontline.shtml[/url]. The link will take you to a page for "HR Frontline" -- a concise (four-page) bi-monthly update that is specifically geared toward supervisors. Click on "View Sample." It's your lucky day: The sample issue is "Flirting with Disaster: Hazards of Workplace Romance."

If you like the sample (and it sounds like your supervisors are open and eager for information), I would urge you to consider signing them up to receive HR Frontline. Every two months, they'll get a booster shot of good, basic, down-to-earth information to help them make safe and smart decisions in the workplace. The November/December issue was "Harassment -- It's Not Just Sex You Need to Worry About." Coming soon: Firing. Hope this helps.

Tony Kessler, Director of Editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC
    (615) 661-0249 ext. 8068

• My advice is to "not go there" - this sort of policy is rife with potential problems. You have a little more leeway if the relationships are between managers/supervisors and employees but you should still be careful. I admit to some bias - my 27 year marriage started with a workplace romance and I was in HR at the time.
  • We discourage romance in the workplace, but there is absolutely no way to stop it.

We do prohibit supervisors from managing any employee they become romantically involved with and it is the supervisor's responsiblity to let us know if this relationship has developed. We have to reassign one or the other in this case, taking care the lesser employee does not feel retaliated against.