Attendance Policy

We have a pretty elaborate hourly attendance policy which is more than fair to employees. However, it's become a supervisory and clerical nightmare to administer. All the salaried staff in the process are trying to convince me to change back to an old 'no fault' point system which allowed 12 points that could be charged in 1/2 point increments for absences of any and all natures and once the 12 points are burned, the employee is terminated. The reason I created the current policy, which allows me to excuse absences in certain cases where medical slips are provided (and others), is to steer clear of potential FMLA issues or perhaps ADA related issues. The old policy could result in the termination of an employee whose reason for the 12th absence might have been a serious medical condition or even going with a family member to surgery. The 'no fault' system is obviously more 'clerical friendly' to administer and takes no imagination, empathy or brainwork to administer. However, the current policy allows me to review every 'excuse' for every absence or tardy and to render an appropriate and consistent decision that is defensible later. Perhaps we could have the no fault system with the exceptions of medically related absences which are to be handled separately. Are there those of you who might have experienced either or both types of policies or combinations thereof and can you share pitfalls or potential minefields in either?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don: I have experienced both. You will NOT be able to use any potential FMLA absences in any point system. Any point system will only be as successful as the people who are administering it. If supervisors are in charge of this, it will be trouble as the more supervisors you have, the more potential liability you have from the standpoint of administering fairly and consistently. In a point system, you may potentially have to terminate someone that you may not want to due to unfortunate circumstances just be virtue of the fact that they reached a certain number of points.

This is a bit like progressive discipline. If it is not administered across the board, fairly and consistently, then you may be in for all types of charges.

I still like the idea of a supervisor deeming what is "excessive" for their department and if they have an employee who is obviously has too many tardies or too many absences, then document and take appropriate action.

This, too, is not perfect by any means, but at least it does not "box" you into a corner as to where you have to explain why you discharged this employee for ten absences and then did not discharge another employee for 12 absences.

Don't know if this helps or confuses.
  • The policy in effect now had an unexpected result, and that is that all the hourly people love it. I'm accused by my assistant and some supervisors of being too lenient. I exercise sole control and decision on which events to excuse. This establishes a point of responsibility and (hopefully) ensures consistency. As you might expect, the Ee's know the system as well as I do and know how to work it, and me. They realize I excuse all medical situations where there is ample documentation, so all it takes is a trip by the emergency room to pick up a Dr's slip to return to work and the company's insurance foots the bill for that too. I've had requests for 3 excused days off for a mother to drive half way to California to take posession of her child from her ex and I agreed to split the difference and excuse 1.5 as a fair give and take. I'll excuse people to be pallbearers (without pay), go with their live-in mate for a procedure requiring a driver and granted an excused extended (no pay) leave so a lady could return to Vietnam to see her aged parents. The humanity of my nature is killing me! But, the alternative is to go back to the old system, return to 80% turnover and spend all my time replacing employees and conducting orientation.
  • Don,

Our salaried exempt employees keep only minimal attendance records. They turn in a monthly time sheet that shows days worked (not hours worked), vacation days, sick days, and holidays.

I was under the impression if you monitor salaried, exempt employees hours too closely that they could lose their exempt status and you could end up owing overtime.

Any thoughts or comments?

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-08-02 AT 07:42AM (CST)[/font][p]I'm sorry that I did not clarify. The attendance points system applies ONLY to our 300 hourly staff. When I mentioned that the salaried staff in the process are trying to convince me to go with a strictly 'no fault' system, I was talking about those salaried staff who are driven up the wall by monitoring and databasing the events and data.
  • Send me an e-mail and I will send you a copy of a no-fault attendance policy that is still pretty lenient for employees and easy to administer.
    One key that makes it employee friendly is that 2 or more consecutive absences, if supported by documentation and not one of the SIXTEEN allowed non-chargable absences, only counts as 1 instance. For example-- a person who does not qualify for FMLA and misses 1 week due to surgery would only get 1 point charged to them (instead of 5).
    The 16 allowed non-chargable absences cover all the federal protection laws and a couple of employee friendly non-regulated absences (i.e. bereavement).
    My e-mail is [email]dldhr40@hotmail.com[/email]
  • I can't imagine the nightmare you must go through in sorting out who to excuse and who not to excuse. It sounds like you end up excusing almost everything. I see a bigger problem in you allowing one person to have an excused leave to take their partner to an appointment where a driver is needed, but you don't allow someone else an excused leave for another reason. There is no way you can be consistent with your "case by case" current procedure.

We utilize a progressive disciplinary process. If someone has three absences or tardies (one tardy only counts as 1/2) within a 90 day time period it is considered excessive and they get a first warning. If they get three more within the next 90 day period, they get another warning. If they get two within the next 90 days, they get another warning and a disciplinary suspension. Finally, if they get four more within the next 180 day period we would term. We have been successful in showing that there is no way the employee was not aware that their attendance needed to improve and what the ramifications would be if it did not.

Like someone mentioned above, if someone is out on consecutive days (say, out for three days with the flu), then we will only count that as one incident. The supervisor has the right to ask for a doctor's note at any time, but we always ask for one for three or more consecutive days of absence. In a sense, these incidents are "no fault" in that we don't care if you are out sick, a family member is sick, you have a court appearance, your car broke down on the freeway coming to work, whatever. You are not here, so you are not productive and not helping the company. You get three of those, it's a warning.

Of course you always need to keep an eye out for FMLA. This leave is protected so you cannot count an FMLA as an incident and fire someone. For all other situations, it has worked well for us!
  • "Of course you always need to keep an eye out for FMLA. This leave is protected so you cannot count an FMLA as an incident and fire someone. For all other situations, it has worked well for us!"

Believe it or not, I have managed what I believe to be extremely good consistency. I have one electrician who must attend a monthly counseling session with a dependent who is in a regional 'behavioral school' setting. It's not FMLA but I cannot see penalizing then terminating this man for being the father he needs to be knowing I would do the same. the points system with blind justice would no doubt terminate him rather soon. I can see a multitude of problems with 'charging' someone for absence due to sickness or transporting a family member, even though the person might not have applied for FMLA and jumped through the requisite number of hoops. The legal advice I've gotten suggests to steer clear of penalties for anything medical related or which might remotely be construed as FMLA related. Plus, once the word gets out that FMLA absences are not charged, but other illness absences are, guess what? Here comes the onslaught of 4-day medical statements. Doctors are awfully cooperative in handing out such excuses willy-nilly. Believe it or not, even with our extremely lenient absentee policy, I just terminated a person who had gone -6.5 points in the hole (due to clerical oversight and late paperwork from supervisors) and yesterday I got the EEOC charge. It's the cleanest termination I've seen but now comes the paperwork. Thanks you for your advice. Don
  • If you are comfortable with your system - Great! I thought you were looking for what other companies were doing. By the way, under our system for the father who needs to be gone a day a month for the counseling session, we would count all of those as one incident since it is re-occuring for the same reason and you need to use some common sense. If he had two other incidents in addition to that, then he would get a warning.

Good Luck!