Employee admits to having an alcohol problem

Last week an employee came into my office and said he has been having some personal problems. He said he has already seen a psycologist and had an appointment for a psychiatrist. Due to a work emergency, he had to fly out to a customer and missed the appointment. He also said he is having axiety coming to work and that alcohol is a problem for him. He said he was going to reschedule the appointment with the psychiatrist. He came to me because he said he is concerned for his job. He said he is going to get help. At this point in the story, i had not been aware that there were any problems. In fact, he received an e-mail from the President thanking him for the good job on responding to the customer's emergency.

Anyway, he asked if he should tell his supervisor about his problems. I told him it was his choice. he did disclose the info to his supervisor. The supervisor then came up to my ofice and disclosed that there are some problems with this EE's performance. He has been late and misses a lot of work. While the supervisor has always been suspicious of substance abuse, there were no signs of imparement while on the job. However, he does travel, so we can not always keep a close eye on him.

He disappears for periods of time throughout the day. As far as we can tell, he is not impared on the job. This past weekend we held our annualsales meeting. The first thing I walk into is this EE knocking back the booz during each evening function. Heavily drinking. He failed to set up for a presentation and had to do so during the meeting.

How should I handle this? the supervisor says the next time he screws up he's gone. I don't believe this person has seekeed any help thus far. I have not asked and do not know if I should. We do not have an EPA program in place. What should I do?? Ps ... we are FMLA and ADA eligible. How do these fit in? HELP. This is still fairly new to me and I could use some solid advise.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-25-02 AT 07:14PM (CST)[/font][p]
    Two things to do:

Get the supervisor trained on counseling and documenting performance problems and on handling employees who admit to alcoholism.

Then you and the supervisor and employee should meet to discuss what steps everyone will take so that the employee is able to get the help to prevent alcoholism in his life and on the job. If you want documentation that he has such a problem, then request it since he is going to the psychiatrist. The help then could include leave, or allowing time off for medical appointsment for counselling, or allowing him to get connected with an out-of-company EAP, or whatever. Remember, the employee voluntarily came forward rather than waiting until the last minute when the company was about to fire him. So, respect the empolyee's desire to "get it right" BEFORE it goes wrong.

The fact that the supervisor failed to do his or her job by not discussing work problems with the employee just means that perhaps the employee could have been helped earlier. Now suddenly to fire the emplyee on next incident for whatever, looks bad for the employer and bad for the sueprvisor. Hold off doing a discharge, if the employee in good faith is actively getting help. In the agreement or arrangement, of course, hold him to performance expectations but only when they are identified to him, and hold the sueprvisor, equally accountable for not doing his or her job right in the first place.