Implementing "Uniforms" into Dress Code...

Hello, All...
We have a large (+/- 100 employees...) Cosmetics manufacturing, production, assembly & distribution operation in Baltimore, MD. We have an established Dress Code that is mostly directed by Common Sense, Safety & Maturity. Our customer (a Fortune 50 company...) now is considering mandating uniforms for our warehouse employees, to present a neater, more 'upscale' or more standardized appearance. To be honest with you, I think the employees will like this change, as we have given company shirts for gifts over the past years, and they love them. I'm looking for suggestions that will assist me in making this transition smoother --- also, what should the 'penalties' be if employees do not comply, or forget their uniforms etc??? Any comments, suggestions, or shared experience would be appreciated! Thanks!
Lori

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My thoughts are that if you are going to be REQUIRING that they wear the uniforms, that you will need to provide the uniforms for them. You might even have to pay for the "maintenance and upkeep", but I'm not positive how that works. If they fail to wear them, they would be disciplined just like anyone one else for failing to perform a certain job duty.
  • Carol,
    Thanks for the reply... we will be supplying the uniform (either through buying a few sets for each employee... or leasing with a pick up/drop off service...) We'll have to make it clear that this is not optional, but a job requirement - will have to be stressed... Does any other firm make the employees pay for lost or damaged uniforms?
    Thanks again for your input! Comments, Anyone Else????

Lori